Hi from the Gold Coast

Alshain

Hey all,

A quick introduction and some questions!

I've been lurking around the straight razor forums for the past week or so... My partner has currently got a dodgy shavette and I am wanting to buy him a decent straight. I was thinking of looking for a nice restored vintage razor. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy in Australia? I'm going to try and put together a "starter pack" for him with a razor, strop, nice soap and brush. If you have any suggestions I'd be grateful!!

Cheers, Alshain

P.S. Are there any ladies on here who shave legs with a straight? I've braved the shavette a few times, my knees always end up a bit worse for wear...

Welcome!
What is your budget for the razor? I would suggest posting in the WTB section. You could also try on the FB group TAWSE - buy sell trade with a WTB.

I know there are some ladies shaving with straights but surely isn't common.

Thanks for the replies,

I was thinking around 200 as a budget for razor and strop.

I'm the chief knife wielder/obsessor/collector/sharpener of the house and if the other half keeps up straight shaving I'd eventually like to set up for honing...

Is it fair for me to encourage him in straight shaving just so I can get some really nice sharpening stones? :/

Thanks for the replies,

I was thinking around 200 as a budget for razor and strop.

I'm the chief knife wielder/obsessor/collector/sharpener of the house and if the other half keeps up straight shaving I'd eventually like to set up for honing...

Is it fair for me to encourage him in straight shaving just so I can get some really nice sharpening stones? :/

$200 is a good amount for a nice English bridal strop (or something similar) and a NOS Vintage Blade!

You have heard of HAD? Hone acquisition disorder? You seem to have a predisposition.

A cunning plan. You'll fit right in.

Oh yes indeed!

Not many ladies using a straight that I know of but a few around using DE.

Happy hunting!

I'm not sure where I heard this but isn't everything fair in love and hone. Welcome to the site and a nice straight and a strop should fit your budget fine. You can make a quite inexpensive paddle strop with a piece of pine a strip of leather and a staple gun.

You have heard of HAD? Hone acquisition disorder? You seem to have a predisposition.

Hmm, I feel I could easily succumb to HAD...

You can make a quite inexpensive paddle strop with a piece of pine a strip of leather and a staple gun.

@bald as is there a preferable leather to use in strop construction? I have some spare calf leather but I'm thinking it might be a bit thin.
I've been checking out eBay and nothing has stood out at me as far as razors go. I think I'll make an order to shaver haven, they have some interesting sounding soaps.

Last edited:
@Alshain because the leather is stretched as tight as you can get it on the pine the thickness is not quite as important. Use the leather you have to start with if it is smooth without blemishes as you will ruin the leather by cutting it with the razor until you get you coordination right. The pine gives a solid base and all you then need to do is lay it on the bench and strop without any real issues with rolling the blade edge due to irregular strop tension. My paddle strop is very basic and works fantastically.
If you make one just have the width of the leather slightly wider than the pine. Mine is approximately 400mm x 66mm. Pine is 19mm thick. With the last one I made I got very fancy and slightly smoothed the edges of the pine with sandpaper :) Don't staple on the face of the pine, fold the leather over the end grain and staple in there and then stretch and staple in the other end grain.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Welcome @Alshain - I'm sure you will have a fantastic time here!

Some great advise already - I would suggest to pm @Mark - he is the resident honemeister and more importantly the resident straight shave enabler :D

He always manages to pull something out of his hat for members here - especially when it comes to their first straight...and their first hones ;)

Hi @Alshain. You've come to the right place, I'm the sharpening enthusiast and a collector when it comes to straight razors, stones and I love Japanese kitchen knives. We'll get along just fine. Always happy to help where I can. Welcome home!

Thanks for the advice, DIY strop it is.

I currently use a Gillette tech (aluminium handle) for legs that I acquired from a relative, no luck finding a straight in the family though. Everyone I asked had thrown theirs out o_O
file

Success, figured out how to attach pictures.

Thanks for the advice, DIY strop it is.

I currently use a Gillette tech (aluminium handle) for legs that I acquired from a relative, no luck finding a straight in the family though. Everyone I asked had thrown theirs out o_O
file

Success, figured out how to attach pictures.

Unfortunately not quiet (with the picture): you have to use the link that ends with .jpg (or other picture format) - I assume you can see the picture on your machine, because the picture is in your browser cache