Honing a Wedge Without Tape?

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I am in the process of honing a 4/8 (formally a ⅝) full wedge carbon steel SR without tape. Having bread-knifed a major chip out of the edge, I am now getting into the bevel set.

I have never honed a full wedge before. If anyone has experience at honing a full wedge without tape, guidance would be appreciated.

My normal progression would be:

1. Heavy metal removal with a 400 synth.
2. Get close to full bevel-set on a 1k synth.
3. Finish bevel set on a 3k syth.
4. Refine bevel and edge on an 8k synth.
5. Polish bevel on lapping films of 5μm, 3μm and 1μm.
6. Finish on a full balsa strop progression.

Is there a reason you don't wish to use tape? For a full wedge, a layer of tape is pretty much the best way to get to the edge.

Hmm I would use tape. In its day it would have been reground before honing with that much wear. All you will do is put more wear on the wedge. So many have uneven spines due to age and have developed a less than optimal profile.

Hmm I would use tape. In its day it would have been reground before honing with that much wear. All you will do is put more wear on the wedge. So many have uneven spines due to age and have developed a less than optimal profile.
I agree with the uneven spine and less than optimal profile. That is why I needed to spend so long on the 400 grit whetstone doing heavy-metal removal, hence the original ⅝ is now closer to a 4/8. Now I am looking at getting into the bevel setting.