"Hooked" tips on badger brush

MrT

Commander of Soap
State Rep - NSW
Group Buy Associate
Hey all

Just got a question about something I'm seeing on my Shavemac silvertip badger brush.

Basically, the very tips of the brush have gone slightly hooked. This makes the brush feel a little rough when dry, and the bristles tend to clump when drying too. However, when wet, it feels as soft as anything I've used.

Doing some searching on the interwebs, it seems like this is a thing. Some people call it "hooked tips", some call it "gel tips" because when wet the brush is so soft it feels almost slimy like it has gel on the tips.

Has anyone else experienced this with their brush? It's certainly not a bad thing necessarily, as the softness when wet is amazing, but it's not something I've come across before.

Gel tips - I think it came up the first time with some Rooney brushes made by Lee Sabini and then of course with M&F

They turn up from time to time with other manufacturers like TGN and Romera - but are not consistent. So while one knot might have it, the next...

The current offering of Shavemac Silvertip and Silvertip 2-band mostly have it and they are sought after by some people...

I have it on my Paladin TSN LE - but not on my Paladin Chief - yet I somehow prefer my Chief - so as always YMMV

Never heard of it. Interesting. So, does this happen after the brush has been used for a while or is it immediately evident?

Reactions: MrT
Never heard of it. Interesting. So, does this happen after the brush has been used for a while or is it immediately evident?

I've only had this brush for a couple of months, so it sets in pretty quickly.

Interesting - new one to me !

Yes, I think it shows up pretty much after a couple of uses