How Do You Choose Your SR For The Shave?

I have two rotations running concurrently.

The first is razors that get a weekly outing: they tend to be blades that I am really enjoying at the moment.

The second is the others that I want to ensure get used at least once a month.

At the start of the week, I look at the first group and assign them a day; that currently leaves two slots for the second group, so I pick the two that have had the least use (mostly, sometimes I just feel like matching a blade to a day).

This system gets disrupted by honing: if I have to hone something, I'd prefer to test it closer to the honing date than further away, so I can validate what I thought happened on the rocks with what does happen on my face.

I find this process very enjoyable, and look forward to arranging combinations and experiences. This is part of the justification for having more than one straight! :)

It will depend, first I think about how much perfection I need on my shave. Not all my razors shave the same, some I have honed better than others, some are, plain and simply, better razors.

If I need bloody perfection, then I go to "the vault", where I have my best razors. If not, I'll go for whichever I miss using the most at that particular time. Sometimes I will also choose depending on the grind I fancy.

I currently have 12 straights that are "shave ready" and basically they are in rotation. Whatever is next in line gets used. Simple as that. Some of them I look forward to using and others not so much. As I bring others on-line into the rotation, I might drop out some of the ones I don't enjoy as much.

When trying to work out what soaps etc to use, I have a shaving app on my iphone, with my shave den loaded into it. It has a roulette wheel and you just press the spin button and it picks out a random mixture of things to use. I do use it when I can't decide what soap to use. Maybe I should try it with the razors also.

cheers
Andrew

I try to give each and every razor in my 40 something collection a turn, and simply stack the pouches and cases on top of each other. I use what is on top and work my way through them, and then it goes to the bottom.

Always looking forward to my "favourites" case, mostly Filarmonica with a Koraat and a Mannos and to be honest, I sometimes cheat and use them more than once in a rotation.

The Gold Dollar case is the one that consistently surprise me with better-than-expected shaves. Let's face it, they have very little personality, purely a tool. That doesn't mean that they can not shave as good or better than a razor that cost many times more.

I have a shell function that picks razors if I'm lacking inspiration:

Bash:
 straight () {
   awk -F'.' '/^* [0-9]+/ {printf "•%s\n", $2}' "$file" | shuf -n1
}
That made me laugh out loud, though I suspect you may have lost some of your audience. :ROFLMAO: However, it may come as a surprise to some of our members that that script will work on any Mac (from a terminal window). Also on any Android phone with Busybox installed. (y)

Usually the razor I last worked on or recently purchased with a few favorites and sentimental ones that get a more regular run than others, especially PIF'd on P&C or charity auction razors

Must admit a few of the show ponies dont get a run very often

I generally use a freshly honed razor from my back log.
I rarely shave more than 2 or 3 times on a given razor unless I desire a particular blade experience.