How long does a blade last you?

Stubbles

Just wondered how long people seem to get out of a DE blade? Each brand will probably be different, but feel free to list each you tried and how long it lasted for you...

Also, how do you personally know when its time to ditch a blade and use a new one? More pressure and worse shave per pass?

2-5 depending on blade. Ditch them when they're not as smooth, or start to feel rough, or tug. You only need to do that with new blades to see how far they go. Some people jsut ditch any of them after 2 or 3, figuring they've already had their money's worth. I can get 5 out of Red's, but rarely bother. After 3 shaves I'm usually ready for a different blade, cos Red's aren't the sharpest around.

I go three shaves with each blade, mainly because I want to try as many blades as I can.

I don't really care if they would last longer, I find that three shaves give me a reasonable feel for how the blade performs.

Three shaves, each shave consisting of three passes.

I find the fourth catches a bit too much for my liking. That, and at 30 odd cents a blade I'm not too stressed. :)

Depends on what blade, and how it shaves. In most cases I can get 3 shaves out of most blades but I am always looking for the feedback from the blade which tells me that I should replace it.

Occasionally I get a blade that I don't want to have with a second time.

Some blades I can get 5 shaves out of easily and know that there is another few shaves left in it.

Average 3 shaves. SE GEMs only good for 3, Most DEs only good for three, sometimes stretch to 4 (many brands not good for one though). Biggest surprise was the gillette bleue, it went forever even though it didn't start well (not the sharpest or most comfortable new blade), it just kept going. Did at least 6 shaves, probably 7, and changed it because I felt like it, not because I needed too.
Though shave count doesn't mean much unless number of passes counted. I do at least three, sometimes four. And I get a 'three day growth' after one day.

Last edited:
I tend to throw DE blades after two or possibly three because "they've had their money's worth". SEs I think can go longer. Had a really good fourth shave wiith one recently so I'm aiming for five or six.

@ Razormonsta: I would have thought you'd be aiming to use as many blades as you can per shave. One per pass for instance. You've got enough for three lifetimes as it is.

@ Razormonsta: I would have thought you'd be aiming to use as many blades as you can per shave. One per pass for instance. You've got enough for three lifetimes as it is.
I may have many blades but there are purposes to that. I'm looking for swaps of older blades like Shick Platinum Plus and maybe some more Iridiums. I will have to swap 2:1, 3:1 or even 4:1 on spoilers.....

I gave away my spoilers. They came with a cased superspeed I bought, and I sold it with the spoilers for $20. I wasn't game to try an opened pack for 30 y/o blades. Maybe the buyer tried one in the black handled superspeed I sold with them?
I'm way past trying different blades, tried about 15 different ones in sample packs and there's too many out there and not enough storage for them all. I'm sticking to red pack personnas in the slim, IP super platinum+ in the NEW, feathers occasionally. Might get some bleues after the long life they showed with the few I got from BA. Didn't like SIs at all. Of course I use SE GEMs as much as the red tip superspeed, slim adj, NEW and new improved - got plenty of other DEs, but don't like them as much as those four. I normally only use a DE after starting with an SE and getting a bad shave, switch due to disgust that the SE blade only gave 3 good shaves again and stick with whatever DE razor I picked for the cycle, then got back the SE with a new blade when the DE blade goes dull.

Last edited: