How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

How often do you think about the Roman Empire?

• Every day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most days

• Once a week

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Once a fortnight

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Once a month

• Less frequently than once a month

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
That sounds a lot like @Blackie's original scenario... :p
Careful @silverlifter you really don't want to mess around with @Blackie

1563232583648.jpg

Christians, and those raised in Christian homes, are going to think about the Roman Empire more than most, I would think. The RE in on nearly every page of the New Testament in some fashion since the events took place within it.

the Roman empire? nah but do think of the greek empire quite a bit.. every time I pick up my six string bouzouki.. this was a tribute to king Leonidas of Sparta, love this zouk

the Roman empire? nah but do think of the greek empire quite a bit.. every time I pick up my six string bouzouki.. this was a tribute to king Leonidas of Sparta, love this zouk
Well to be fair, the Romans did pinch a lot of their culture from the Greeks. Or Hellenes rather; Greece as such didn't exist then... The Romans couldn't even invent their own gods.

I try out the question over pizza and wine with a group of four men on a sunny spring day on the Mornington Peninsula. One asks if Rome is code for sex. No, fellas, I mean Rome as in Augustus, bloodshed, the Colosseum, concrete, the Julian calendar and all that stuff.
Crap like this is why I don't bother with the paper, the news or mainstream TV.

Well to be fair, the Romans did pinch a lot of their culture from the Greeks. Or Hellenes rather; Greece as such didn't exist then... The Romans couldn't even invent their own gods.

nice one mate.. Hellenic empire is absolutely correct

Well they renamed the Gods :) and took the arts, culture, architecture and so on

I rarely think about it now, but when living in the UK years ago would have thought about it regularly while daily traveling along roads originally built by the Romans.

You can thank them for bureaucracy, tax, fast food, Catholicism, plumbing, advertising and the calendar!

Last edited: