How to Make a Shaving Video?

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I am thinking of making a shaving video to demonstrate my method of performing a fool's pass using a traditional straight razor. The cameras that I have available a mobile phone and a Fujifilm digital bridge camera. I also have lots of bluetack and a decent tripod on which I cam mount either camera. I also use OpenShot to edit my videos.

I have played around with my setup but have not been happy with the results. Have any of you successfully shot shaving videos? How did you set up your gear?

Here is a photo of my current saving station.
TBIHgsr.jpg

Hi @rbscebu

Set up on the main mirror.

- A suction mobile phone holder is perfect.
- A mobile phone is more than adequate for YouTube videos.

- Use landscape video mode.

- Position the phone on the mirror slightly above you natural eyeline.
- Make sure the mirror can hold the weight of the mobile phone.

After a few test runs, you will find the ideal place to position the holder. Most YouTubers keep the phone holder in Permanant place to keep the videos uniform.

You will need some curtain/cloth to diffuse the strong daylight from the window. Or does your window slide closed to diffuse light?

If the background is a little busy/distracting drape a shower curtain or towel to make the background neutral.

Natural light is easy to work with, rather than setting up lighting & tripod

Thank you @Garry357. That is the sort of guidance that I was looking for.

I don't have a suction cup holder but will order one on eBay today. During the waiting period, I will play around with holding the phone on the mirror using Blu Tack.

The window is of the sliding type with frosted glass so hopefully that will be sufficient to defuse the light. If not, I will use some tracing paper attached to the glass.

Some of the more famous EweTube shaving channels such as KevyShaves and PaulHFilms all use lighting rather than relying on the bathroom lights or windows. It adds to the expense but probably gets a more professional looking video.

cheers
Andrew

Hi @rbscebu have you started your video making yet.
Will be interesting to see if you have.
I am still waiting on my cell phone holder. Should be received any day now. Once received, I will record a fool's pass with a traditional SR.

While waiting, I have recorded a few fool's passes using Blu-Tack to hold my phone on the mirror. This has been a learning curve for me.

I am currently growing my "moustache", now for three days. As most SR shavers know, the longer your whiskers, the easier it is to shave 😁.

The first cell phone holder I purchased didn't work properly so I gave it away to the poor(er). I ordered another type (about the same price) that arrived a few days ago. This holder works like a charm. Here is my setup now.

MFi8man.jpg

Holder mounted and stowed away.

zIL64Md.jpg

Holder with cell phone mounted.​

I now have a three-day growth on my upper lip and will look at trying to video the fool's pass later today. Once done, I will post the video in a new thread.

The first cell phone holder I purchased didn't work properly so I gave it away to the poor(er). I ordered another type (about the same price) that arrived a few days ago. This holder works like a charm. Here is my setup now.

MFi8man.jpg

Holder mounted and stowed away.

zIL64Md.jpg

Holder with cell phone mounted.​

I now have a three-day growth on my upper lip and will look at trying to video the fool's pass later today. Once done, I will post the video in a new thread.
Perfect setup. Looking forward to seeing your videos.