Is there a Soap Bubble?

Hocky27

Hi All,

I've only been into wet shaving since October of 2015, yet even since then simply browsing all the various forums, I thought 'Geez there sure are a lot of artisans out there for a relatively niche hobby'

In light of the recent closures of some of the artisans in the wet shaving community I'd like to pose the following questions:
Are we experiencing a Soap Bubble?
If so, is it about to burst?

For those that have been around a lot longer than myself, is this cyclical? Or did it all start in the last few years?

@Anthony I'd really appreciate your insights as well given you are one of if not THE premier artisan soap maker of Australia. How do you react to the news of these recent closures?

Look forward to the discussion guys :)

I'm sure there is over-saturation in the (small) market, but the closures are mostly due to personal reasons and survival of the fittest. (I think knowing when to sell or close up shop is often a sign of good business sense!) Small business is hard at the best of times, but especially in this niche market its a hard slog to go from hobby to business. Most enter via the hobby entrance, realise it could become a business, start it before realising the true costs. They also don't have a business plan or mission statement/direction.

So is it really an over-supply or just poor business? But I'd argue that most of the time it's for personal reasons (poor health, not enough income, bad for family, etc).

My *quick & dirty* 2c

OH NO! Peak Soap !!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I wonder how any survive but there is often a tipping point between hobby and business that is hard to navigate. The hobby grows then suddenly it is a business and that is a whole different dynamic.

A little like the coffee shops that open to be somewhere that the owner would want to go to and have great coffee and food and relax with friends, then he has to worry about turnover and staffing and people sitting at a table all day because it is so nice only ordering one coffee but using his WiFi and drinking his water etc etc.

Good luck to those who survive!

There is no question that there needs to be a wider base of demand, the only way that will happen is if you lot get out there and spread the word. Introduce people to what we do, and why it is better than the alternative. More people going into traditional wet-shaving, then the overall higher demand will be there.

Best marketing for it is how you smell after. Women love these scents, there's certain ones that my other half loves less than others but mostly positive. Also how your skin reacts to the lack of detergent-based surfactants in the canned foam and gels.

Recruit your nephews, show them how it is done, give them a decent Synth, easy lathering soap (Latha is ideal) and a nice condition Superspeed and a handful of blades - suggest Personna Reds, Astras and maybe PermaSharp Supers.

This is not a fad.
It is a necessity in a modern society.
Without it, I and many others simply wouldn't shave.
I doubt there will be a dramatic decline in the future, as the number of people tiring of the business practices of large corporations is increasing daily and will continue resulting in them seeking out alternatives to replace their old routine.
Also, others will appreciate the more natural and environmentally friendlier option this provides.

To add to the discussion, here's an article from Sharpologist about Strop Shoppe's closing.
(The author has -IMO- a bitter tone but there's still stuff to be gleaned from the article.)

Interesting read - thanks for posting.
He makes many good points - customer service & interaction is a big one but the other that stands out to me is the vastness of some product ranges. It's a proven fact that a large range looks good, but confuses customers to the point of not making a purchase. Studies have show that for example two jam stalls in a market side by side; the one with the vast range will have many more people standing at it the entire day when compared it's neighbour with a limited range (they are all taking ages to make a decision), however the stall with the limited range will have far more sales. I went to mystic waters to purchase a soap or two a while back only to be bombarded with 1000 scent choices. I still to this day have purchased none because of it.

Interesting read - thanks for posting.
He makes many good points - customer service & interaction is a big one but the other that stands out to me is the vastness of some product ranges. It's a proven fact that a large range looks good, but confuses customers to the point of not making a purchase. Studies have show that for example two jam stalls in a market side by side; the one with the vast range will have many more people standing at it the entire day when compared it's neighbour with a limited range (they are all taking ages to make a decision), however the stall with the limited range will have far more sales. I went to mystic waters to purchase a soap or two a while back only to be bombarded with 1000 scent choices. I still to this day have purchased none because of it.
My problem with a lot of these with large ranges is that they don't even tell you what scents to expect on the front of the tin. If I don't have at least a rough idea of what is in the tin by the name I tend to just drive straight past.

Interesting read indeed.
I am one of those that experienced issues with the level of customer service post sale from Kali.
The fact that I've not tried her soaps speaks volumes.

Funnily enough, I afforded her a reply via email showcasing the importance of quality customer service, obviously only for it to at best, be glazed over and largely ignored.

Shave Busta advised that Tim's soap has ceased because of family issues.
Tim will not be drawn into the possibility of recommencing trading.