July 2012 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark, that is art. Never been gobsmacked by the sight of a razor before.
I hope your great-grandchildren appreciate it.

It is beautiful - I'll take pics when I get it.

Have now got the knack of making a usable lather from it, though it's still NOWHERE near as easy to lather at the TOBS or GFT creams I've used previously.

what brush are you using>

I use boar for croap/soap, and badger for cream.

Tech Travel version came today. It really is tiny!

Will attempt to use it sometime and see if I can still get a good shave out of it.

Still awaiting my Spoilers. Tracking shows they left LA on the 15th....and now it is a week later.

I'd prefer to get a delivery, but it looks like they may not arrive. Makes me sad.

what brush are you using>

I use boar for croap/soap, and badger for cream.
Have tried with Semmi 1305, which was terrible. Would go from too dry/thick, to way too wet in the blink of an eye. Might get one usable pass, but after that it's just way too thin.
Also tried with my FS silvertip, which I don't really like that brush for anything, and my favourite brush, FS finest.
I can get usable lather, now, from the FS finest by carefully bowl lathering.

For ease of use, I MUCH prefer TOBS Jermyn Street which will lather just by looking at it and has a very wide margin or error in terms of adding water.

Yeah tobs JS is the bomb. It lathers on anything. Dip the tips and ten seconds later you're slathered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the latest JS tub I got is thicker and thirstier than ever! It is approaching Croap thickness.

So yes, a little goes a looooooooooooooong way. Lathers like a rabid dog a noon on a midsummer's day. :weird:

Completely out of the blue, I received another razor yesterday. This one is particularly special to me as it was my grandpa's razor (he passed away min 1990s). Apparently my mum mentioned to my grandma that I was interested in 'old razors' and she went and found grandpa's one for me :D

Based on this article Gillette Rocket, the refined DE. | TheShaveDen it appears to be a 1940's style Rocket. It's in great condition- better than any of the vintage razors I've got from ebay so far.

I'm just really stoked that I've got my grandpa's razor. Hopefully its something that might be able to stay in the family for many generations to come. I'll post some pictures of it all cleaned up soon.

Completely out of the blue, I received another razor yesterday. This one is particularly special to me as it was my grandpa's razor (he passed away min 1990s). Apparently my mum mentioned to my grandma that I was interested in 'old razors' and she went and found grandpa's one for me :D

Based on this article Gillette Rocket, the refined DE. | TheShaveDen it appears to be a 1940's style Rocket. It's in great condition- better than any of the vintage razors I've got from ebay so far.

I'm just really stoked that I've got my grandpa's razor. Hopefully its something that might be able to stay in the family for many generations to come. I'll post some pictures of it all cleaned up soon.

Sensational! Nothing better than a family heirloom.

Well done and congrats

I think the latest JS tub I got is thicker and thirstier than ever! It is approaching Croap thickness.

So yes, a little goes a looooooooooooooong way. Lathers like a rabid dog a noon on a midsummer's day. :weird:

I've found this too with my latest JS tub that was purchased about 2 months ago, but sat unopened while I finished off the Proraso cream. Definitely thicker than the previous tub I bought and much more like a croap. Still lathers incredibly though.

The front breaks on the Honda started making a grinding noise yesterday. Looks like I'm buying a break job this morning:)-(

The front breaks on the Honda started making a grinding noise yesterday. Looks like I'm buying a break job this morning:)-(

This is why, in Australia, we don't let women drive cars mate. They bugger the brakes in no time.

Right. In the shop now. Front breaks and rotors . Could have had that new TI. Oh. what could have been!

Just for fun, I thought I'd do a quick tally relating to my 'RAD" problem :laugh:

Between Super Speeds, Techs, Slims, a Rocket HD and a Fatboy I will have 14 vintage razors as a result of this month's activities!

Some of them are going to new homes once restored, but I'll still have more razors than days of the week.

Received a new to me razor saturday honed it last nite and used it this morning. Griffon XX # 67.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343703328.654692.jpg

Reasonably price from eBay. Came in good condition, not misused. Sharpened easily, shaves well.

Status
Not open for further replies.