Just tried my new tub of Oumo shaving soap and it's great

You're welcome. I guess it all depends on what type of skin you have in the first place. Mine is just slightly on the oily side of dry, and I have no trouble with the MdC Original. I guess that might be why I typically get my best shaves from milled soaps, but I still like to play with buttery soaps from time to time (like today in fact) just for a bit of variety.

My skin is neutral to slightly oily.
It's not dry but dries out easily...like in winters, drying soaps (either the ingredients or scent can cause it), face washes, eating a bad diet on trips etc.

Milled soaps work well for me overall. I don't get dryness from them, probably because the myristic/lauric acids are in better balance.
Even in my soap I use 10% coconut oil which doesn't impact my skin one bit.

I often use MWF, Speick tallow, SV dolomiti and my skin likes them a lot.

I had to sell off my five DR Harris soaps as they started irritating my skin after covid.

I do miss scented soaps on a daily basis but I'm stoked with the performance of my soap and so glad I took the plunge.

MdC has a ton of fans and I'm not against any soap overall since everyone is different. What bugs me is the price for basically the cheapest soap formulation possible! Same goes for Canada shave soap.
The MDC clone I made as practically free when compared to my other soap recipe.

hey speedy have you tried the new tabac vegan soap? i havnt myself, partly due to the large stockpile of tabac I have but have been a bit curious about it

So you're a Tabac fan too, hey?

Can't believe I neglected to try the soap for so long.. it's beautiful. Even the smell is great

I would say the quality is on par with Stirling soaps at the very least, but it's been a long time since I could get hold of Stirling soaps and I can't do a comparison here..
@Question Artisan Arcade (est 2019) is the authorised Australian and New Zealand distributor for Stirling Soap Co. We usually carry a greater variety of Stirling shaving soaps than Stirling because we have to order their seasonal releases in our winter (Northern Hemisphere summer) and vice versa. We currently carry 74 different Stirling shaving soap tubs, many of which are also available in sample sizes. All orders are dispatched from Melbourne via Australia Post standard or express. Hope this helps.
Peter

@Question Artisan Arcade (est 2019) is the authorised Australian and New Zealand distributor for Stirling Soap Co. We usually carry a greater variety of Stirling shaving soaps than Stirling because we have to order their seasonal releases in our winter (Northern Hemisphere summer) and vice versa. We currently carry 74 different Stirling shaving soap tubs, many of which are also available in sample sizes. All orders are dispatched from Melbourne via Australia Post standard or express. Hope this helps.
Peter

OOPS, why did I not notice @Question's comment earlier

Echo everything Peter, the owner of Artisan Arcade said - and add a plug for his great service!

is it just me or the pics you posted aren't working?

I didn't say I don't have any :)

I stocked up from B&B while they have them

After spending so much money on this bloody hobby, I've settled for

- Tabac as my shave soap
- Muhle Rocca as my Razor
- Muhle / Feather / Black Wilkies as my blades.
- Shaver Shop Badger brush that I bought as one of my first brushes 2+ years ago.

I also love the Rocca, but no way near as much as my blackbird.. so might be worth a try?
So you're a Tabac fan too, hey?

Can't believe I neglected to try the soap for so long.. it's beautiful. Even the smell is great

Absolutely love tabac soap, and the scent.. nothing completes a tabac shave better than their splash and cologne.. 👍

I also love the Rocca, but no way near as much as my blackbird.. so might be worth a try?

Absolutely love tabac soap, and the scent.. nothing completes a tabac shave better than their splash and cologne.. 👍

What is this blackbird razor you speak of?

No matter what razor I swap to, I seem to miss my Rocca and go back to it. As much as I disliked the Astra SP's.. they seem to work brilliantly for me when teamed up together.

Edit - The blackbird is a beautiful looking razor.. but dropping $200 USD at the moment?... not that beautiful :)

Last edited:

No matter what razor I swap to, I seem to miss my Rocca and go back to it. As much as I disliked the Astra SP's.. they seem to work brilliantly for me when teamed up together.

Edit - The blackbird is a beautiful looking razor.. but dropping $200 USD at the moment?... not that beautiful :)

worth every penny.. i just wish i found this razor a while back, would of saved a bucket load of cash

You'll likely sell all your other razors.
So the net effect of the blackbird is likely that you'll actually SAVE money for the first time since switching to DE shaving!

worth every penny.. i just wish i found this razor a while back, would of saved a bucket load of cash

You'll likely sell all your other razors.
So the net effect of the blackbird is likely that you'll actually SAVE money for the first time since switching to DE shaving!

I think you guys missed the part where I said - "At the moment"....

I'm a hoarder of shiney things.. The only razor I got rid of was the one I donated to Errol for a review on how bad it was :)