Keep the blade moving?

Andrew C

I’m awaiting my first straight razors, Gold Dollar 208 which I’ll send off the @rbscebu to be made shave ready. In the meantime I’m getting in more practice with my CJB clone shavette and can pretty much get a decent shave without having to overthink it too much and that kind of worries me. I can’t imagine the straight razor will be as forgiving.
I’ve read the guide rbscebu posted and I’ve been watching various YouTube tutorials and I’m curious as to the idea of starting the shaving stroke with the edge resting against the skin being a great way to cut yourself. I can sort of see how that’d be the case but I’m struggling with the alternative. Does one hover above, get the blade moving and then try to execute a perfectly smooth landing on the face as the blade is in motion. Is it easier than it sounds?
With the Feather AC clone, I can just rest the body of the shavette against the skin, angle it out about one spine width and then proceed. No straight razor shaver on YouTube seems to do this and I’m guessing there’s a good reason why not.
Can anyone please provide some clarification on this?
Thanks guys.

If your skin is stretched, then touching the bevel against your skin won't cut, so make sure your angle is flat enough. Then, as you start your stroke you can let the spine lift minimally to engage the edge.

Don't come in hot from a couple of centimeters above your face, that will end badly... 😁