Knot Density

How would you measure it? Hairs per square mm? Would you also need to measure average hair width (for indication of backbone)?

I can't imagine anyone would have the time or inclination to quantify, even though it may be useful lol

Mass of the knot would allow you to compare knots of the same diameter and loft in terms of density.

Given how it effects face feel and flow through I would like to know anyway.

Mass of the knot would allow you to compare knots of the same diameter and loft in terms of density.

Given how it effects face feel and flow through I would like to know anyway.
Mass would allow you to compare exactly that, but mass would not give you indication of face feel or flow through. Too many variables to say that density alone contributes to weight. You could have a thicker hair (think shavemac d01) with 27mm knot, 50mm loft with a similar knot mass to a simpsons chubby 2 best, and 2 completely different face feels (even though density may in fact be similar).

I would think that a better standard would be to get some consistency around hair types as a starter. But hey, I'm sure you could request some knot weights from manufacturers and we can do a bit of an analysis here based on members experience?

note - Initially I read into density as in # of hairs in knot, apologies if you are talking actual density as in mass of knot. If you were, then no, I don't think it would give you any valuable insight.

IP. Simpsons wouldn't give you the mass of their knots, or how they select the hair, in a million years. I asked them when trying to assess brushes, and in a nice way they said Fuck off.

IP. Simpsons wouldn't give you the mass of their knots, or how they select the hair, in a million years. I asked them when trying to assess brushes, and in a nice way they said Fuck off.
Sure it weren't just directed at you personally Drubs?

Very likely. I'm not betting on anyone getting an answer out of them. They just sugar coated mine...

Mass would allow you to compare exactly that, but mass would not give you indication of face feel or flow through. Too many variables to say that density alone contributes to weight. You could have a thicker hair (think shavemac d01) with 27mm knot, 50mm loft with a similar knot mass to a simpsons chubby 2 best, and 2 completely different face feels (even though density may in fact be similar).

I would think that a better standard would be to get some consistency around hair types as a starter. But hey, I'm sure you could request some knot weights from manufacturers and we can do a bit of an analysis here based on members experience?

note - Initially I read into density as in # of hairs in knot, apologies if you are talking actual density as in mass of knot. If you were, then no, I don't think it would give you any valuable insight.

Yes, actual density, not number of hairs. And I disagree, that it wouldn't be useful.
But if I am the only one wondering about that's fine. Carry on. Nothing to see here.