alfredus

Auctioneer-in-Chief + organises many group buys
Staff member
Site Moderator
State Convenor - SA
Grand Society
Group Buy Caporegime
Charity Auction Team
Adelaide has some of the hardest water around the country (~150ppm) and getting a decent lather can be challenging. While longer loading usually overcomes this issue, in recent times I have found that using a little bit of distilled water not only makes life easier – it also helps getting consistently great lather.

So I just want to share here my method – it aims not to waste (too much) of the distilled water.

The first picture shows the total amount of distilled water I use per shave. I soak my brush in it and bloom the soap. The bottle in the picture is a 2L bottle and I get ~15 shaves (1 month) out of it.

1_WaterSuesS_zpsuvf4jfhv.jpg

I do my usual pre-shave (wash my face twice with a moisturising soap) with tap water. I pat my face dry with a towel and use my brush to wet my face again with the distilled water (the water used to soak the brush). The second picture shows the amount of water left after this.

2_AfterFaceS_zpszdfqzweo.jpg

Then I tip my blooming water into the vessel (third picture) and use this water for loading/building the lather. The next picture shows the amount of water left at the end of the process - with my large brush the mug is usually almost empty.

3_BloomWaterS_zps1vm2vvhx.jpg

4_EndS_zpsfkok4wyk.jpg

For everything else during the shave (rinsing etc.) I use tap water and I found this method works quiet well for me. Here a final look at the drippy lather produced.

20160620_NC_EW_MW_TBWS_zpsxcwans4i.jpg

You should give it try - you might be surprised what it can do for you (y)

Thank you @TomG - really appreciate it

Thanks @Mark1966 - and you know some of the best results can be had with Mike's ;)

A thoughtful and helpful review of your process using Distilled water @alfredus
Thanks for sharing. It's reviews like these that are very helpful.