Mühle R89 Twist

OK, I have finally got some photo's of the new Mühle R89 TWIST.

It came boxed in the usual Mühle presentation box.
DSC02242.jpg

Here it is next to the Mühle R89 Grande on the left, the main difference is the "nut" at the base of
the R89 Twist handle as well as a slightly larger diameter of the R89 Twist handle.
DSC02243.jpg

Next to Merkur 38C Barber pole for comparison.
DSC02244.jpg

All three razors with the top caps off, the top caps of the Mühle's are interchangeable!
The thread of the top cap Of the R89 Twist is a lot shorter than the Merkur.
DSC02245.jpg

The weight of the Mühle R89 TWIST.
DSC02247.jpg

The weight of the Mühle R89 Grande.
DSC02246.jpg

The weight of the Merkur 38C Barber pole.
DSC02248.jpg

As you can see its lighter than the Merkur 38C and Mühle R89 Grande.

Now for the performance!

The finish is typical for Mühle/Edwin Jagger razors, the finish is exceptional, no flaws what so ever.
The fit of the parts is great in the Mühle tradition.
The chrome plating would make some show car enthusiasts jealous!

I prepped the usual way (shower, leave face wet, lather using MWF and Proraso red and a Mensbiz brush).

I loaded a Feather blade (I use Feathers in all my razors) and commenced my first pass.
This razor is said to be a little milder than the R89, I could not find any difference either way, it's the same in my book!
The second pass ATG and third pass ATG were completed without any issues.

Being a little lighter was not an issue for me, I found it easy to whip around my face, where my heavier razors, seem to "feel slower".
It's nowhere near as heavy as my Weber, iKon or Feather (my three heaviest razors).

I found this razor to have the same feel as the R89 Grande, same aggressiveness and just as comfortable.
Blade angle seems to be the same as well, very easy to find the sweet spot.
I got BBS with a couple of touch ups as usual (I have to touch up with every razor I own).

If you have read any reviews of the Mühle R89 or any of the Edwin Jagger "89" series razors, this razor will fit into these reviews.

Loading a blade is the same as any two piece razor, though the thread is shorter than a Merkur, which could be an issue with some people.

This razor is now in my regular rotation (7 razors in rotation now (I like variety)).

Is this razor worth the extra money, I don't know, but for fans of two piece razors, it is!

So, if you are looking at purchasing a Mühle R89 series or Edwin Jagger "89" series, give this a thought, especially if prefer a two piece razor.

This was not an in-depth review, it was not meant to be, more of an overview.
I hope this helps some a little.

Warren

Last edited:
Very nice write up!

Three pieces is one too many IMHO :)

After a week of shaving with the R89 Twist.

I can say it gives a very smooth shave, exactly the same a the R89 Grande and Edwin Jagger EJL8914bl.
The shave angles are the same with (what I could feel) the same aggressiveness.

I'm very happy with it and it is staying in my rotation.

Great read. A shame it's not different enough to my EJ89 to lust after….