Mark Weber - F1 or Fiat 500?

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
Yeah, I know there's a Weber thread already, but that's mostly about buying them, which 2 or 3 years since launch, seems still a PITA.

Is it worth it? Thoughts here. Mark insisted I try his.

Well, it shaves nice. I find it likes Astras and Super I's. It's not an overly aggressive razor with the right blade, but I wouldn't call it mild either. Efficient is a better choice of words. My favoured Feathers are too much. You do get used to the weight and I find it user friendly for shaving because of that.

My niggle would be the thread. If the shave is F1, the fit of the handle feels Fiat. The Mark Weber I have on loan has a fair bit of wobble and a short thread. Not safety inspiring to screw on, though it does seem secure. I think I'd be more inclined to get the classic handle for my 30C, as it fits Merkurs, which is a bonus.

Last edited:
I never noticed any wobble when tightened ????

Huh? The handle is wobbly as it is being tightened? @Mark1966 I fear @Drubbing has pimped your ride mate…modded the modern marvel. Mine Weber hast none wobbly.

OK, I can probably agree with that @Drubbing

Premature wear ?

I've got this for a run at the moment and had my first shave with it today. I'll post more details once I am at home and have a few minutes.

Haven't noticed a wobble yet.

Great stuff - enjoy it @JugV2 !!!

FWIW my Weber, which I'm pretty sure was the first one bought by anyone on P&C - and thus most likely older has always had a reasonable amount of 'play' (the term I was tought in association with screw in fittings etc - I would assume this is what is inferred by wobble) when initially screwing it in - but easily tightens and there's absolutely zero movement etc and the fit is perfectly flush.

I concede upon first screwing the head back on I thought,"Shit is something wrong?" as it doesn't feel like a perfect fit - BUT evidently this is and never has been anything to worry about. The only way this could be a problem is if you're absolutely Herculean in strength as it'd take enormous strength to strip a quality stainless steel on quality stainless steel fitting like that.

IMHO it's infinitely superior to have a very marginally loose fitting like that than one thats too tight as it'd be easy to screw in a tad off and risk stripping the thread. Never had any issue with the Weber bulldog perfectly fitting any other branded razor's head - so far have used with Gillette's, Muhle, Merkur, EJ and a few cheapies.

So how is it going @JugV2 ?

So how is it going @JugV2 ?
I've had four shaves with it so far. I used a Merkur blade in it and it seems milder than I expected.
Somewhat similar to a Progress in that way. There is definitely no feeling of an exposed blade such as with the R41.
I like the weight of the unit and I tend to grip it near the head and let the weight do the cutting.
It's a heavy solid razor and I would have no hesitation using this regularly.
I want to try a different blade in it and see how that goes and then I will be ready to move it along.

I've had four shaves with it so far. I used a Merkur blade in it and it seems milder than I expected.
Somewhat similar to a Progress in that way. There is definitely no feeling of an exposed blade such as with the R41.
I like the weight of the unit and I tend to grip it near the head and let the weight do the cutting.
It's a heavy solid razor and I would have no hesitation using this regularly.
I want to try a different blade in it and see how that goes and then I will be ready to move it along.
Thoroughly recommend a Schick Plus Platinum if you have some lying around. Otherwise, I've had great shaves with moderns such as the Personna Blue (made for each other), Permasharp Super and Gillette Indian Blacks.