Mini 1 sentence reviews from selected blades

Adam

Howdy all,

Every time i buy something from MB i throw in 5 blades of something i haven’t tried yet. Over the past few weeks I’ve used a few of each to see if I can find the perfect blade for me. I’ll start from my fav to least fav. Let me know what you guys think. All blades are from MB so nothing fancy or vintage.

POLSILVER 10/10

These were my favourite by far. Unfortunately for me they also happen to be one of the most $$ blades through MB. They are the only blade I have used where I get a perfect smooth, irritation free shave every single time.

FEATHER 9/10

Based on reviews read I was scared to try these. I hadn’t really cut myself since I started DE shaving however I thought this would be the blade that changed this. I by chance had 2-3 days growth prior to using this and the blade mowed through it with absolute ease, so much so I thought I forgot to put the blade in.

ASTRA 8/10

These bad boys are probably going to be my go to blade. They gave me a nice smooth shave with minimal irritation. They don’t feel as sharp as others when doing the chin area for me, i always need to do a clean-up pass in that area whereas the 2 above blades I can get away with 2 passes only.

GILLETTE 7 OCLOCK YELLOW 7/10

Nice clean shave but I just didn’t like them. I may give these another go and update review as when I used them I used a Evelyn shave soap from the SS and it gave no protection, shaving everyday going over irritated areas magnified the issue. So it just wasn’t enjoyable, but in saying that it was a nice smooth shave.

WILKINSON SWORD 6/10

I’ve tried to like these as I bought a 10 pack from the SS to try. However I just can’t get them to agree with me. They are the only blade I have used where when I went against the grain in a 2nd pass they jumped across the hair and pulled on a brand new blade. There seems to be a lot of variants (at least in packaging) so I’m not sure what the ones I have were?

DERBY 6/10

I actually found these to be slightly better than the WILKS however the shave just wasn’t smooth and almost felt like it pulled on the hairs. I used these early in the piece so it may have been technique also?

Howdy all,

Every time i buy something from MB i throw in 5 blades of something i haven’t tried yet. Over the past few weeks I’ve used a few of each to see if I can find the perfect blade for me. I’ll start from my fav to least fav. Let me know what you guys think. All blades are from MB so nothing fancy or vintage.
Thanks mate! Great idea. (Was it just me or did you promise there would only be one sentence for each review.[emoji6])

Polsilvers are about $31 per 100 on eBay so definitely more expensive. Feathers are around $25 (/100).

You should check out other modern Russian blades such as the Permasharp supers (try Bestshave.net) and Voshkods (eBay). I also like the Personna Lab Blues which sell for around $17 (per 100) on eBay.

There are also lots of vintage blades around. If you keep your eyes on the site here, there's going to be a Vintage Blade pass-around very soon...

I'm less convinced on the PSS but it has been a awhile.

Pretty much using just vintage ones now - have a lifetime's worth I think ...

I'm less convinced on the PSS but it has been a awhile..........

Yeah, I used one recently and it's OK but nothing stand out. Just a good three or four shave blade.

..........Pretty much using just vintage ones now - have a lifetime's worth I think ...

Same here. It's sad. Nothing more to buy. Remember how we used hatch very cunning plans and go out blade hunting together? All memories now @Mark1966

AHHH, those were the days @Pjotr :)

While it did taken them over a year to arrive they did in the end !

What next?

Watches are too expensive and require expertise, coins bore me, maybe I should focus on cuff-links - always lots of those in the antique stores ...

AHHH, those were the days @Pjotr :)

While it did taken them over a year to arrive they did in the end !

What next?

Watches are too expensive and require expertise, coins bore me, maybe I should focus on cuff-links - always lots of those in the antique stores ...

You could then start your own forum called - Cuff and Link :)

You could then start your own forum called - Cuff and Link :)

I'm sure there's one of them already. I don't want to look because it scares me to think that I might find one. A thriving "community' of cuff link enthusiasts complete with Italian dudes who swear that the only ones worth having are late 19th century models traditionally worn by gondeliers. The ones with an almond flower motif are the rarest.

Last edited:
The vintage blades do seem to spoil one for the modern offerings don't they. I really thought it would be a load of wank but it doesn't seem to be unfortunately.

Nice reviews Adam. Out of the ones you tried I would have had the polsilbers on top too!

I keep trying other blades and then going back to the POLSILVERS. To me they feel as sharp as a Feather but without the roughness. Ive had a few dud shaves with the ASTRAS of recent so ive turned my nose up at them. The only other blades i want to try are the PERSONNA Blues @filobiblic. @stillshunter sent me a sample of the reds and i found them to be great also, marginally behind the POLS, just not as smooth.
Im not sure if i should now order 100 POLSILVERS or try 100 PERSONNA lab blues. From what i have read the lab blues are almost identical to the reds but some say marginally sharper. They seem to be alot cheaper and more readily available.

If you keep going back to the Polsilvers then go ahead and order 100.

I would also be trying the PermaSharp Supers too - also an excellent blade. I think they are better then the Polsilvers, even the "vintage vintage" Polsilver that I used this morning.