My attempts at a single edge

hilux

Thanks to a PIF from gthomas04 i have been shaving with a single edge razor, along with a TTO gillette and some blades.

having one in the bathroom is sure to attract alot of attention and questions about that antique looking thing on the table.

the resulting shave was very close on the cheeks and necks; however im still trying to figure out how to shave the upper lip.

i wish to take the opportunity to say thanks to Glen for organising the PIF and giving me the chance to experience a SE razor.

Thanks to a PIF from gthomas04 i have been shaving with a single edge razor, along with a TTO gillette and some blades.

having one in the bathroom is sure to attract alot of attention and questions about that antique looking thing on the table.

the resulting shave was very close on the cheeks and necks; however im still trying to figure out how to shave the upper lip.

i wish to take the opportunity to say thanks to Glen for organising the PIF and giving me the chance to experience a SE razor.
Even though the razor head still won't clear the nose at a good angle, I still do a downward pass to cut stubble near the lip (as I don't like doing sideways horizontal passes too near the lip).And spread out your philtrum(sp?) for the first or last pass for a downward shave
Besides that, treat the center (under your nose) outwards as WTG, the outside (corner of your month) towards the center as XTG, and straight upwards as ATG.

To me it's even easier than a DE, it's easier to do ATG right up to and along the sides of the nostrils, and no chance of being sliced by the 'blunt' side DE blade tabs that sticks out of a DE razor.
Despite this being a new challenge for some, I have never got a shave better than with a SE, and it seems no different to DE for a good shave on the upper lip anyway? I can't think how they work better there with a different technique needed, or even modern or disposables.

Last edited:

My pleasure Hilux. I also found up near the nose tricky with the SE - try the TM next time and see if that helps in those tricky areas.
have fun.

under the nose, I tried a slight diagonal, but have settled on a straight down for 1st pass with an angle that will miss just a bit under the nose. Cross diagonal passes will then catch that part for me.

sorry for the late replies. have been so busy with work/uni/etc that i havent been sleeping alot lately, let alone getting onto the forums. on days that i dont work, i havent even bothered to shave :p:p

will try those tips on the under the nose bit.

by the way what is "TM" method? just wondering.

...........what is "TM" method? just wondering.

Shameless self promotion.

Check post No 17 in this thread. That's where it was first coined. It went global after that and Glen's (Glen Thomas-Thomas Method-TM) head followed suit.

Last edited:
Of course in addition to being somewhat unnobel (disnoble? nobleless? in short a bit of a knob post) (Monsta Edit: I think the antonym you are looking for is 'ignoble') my post made absolutely no sense without the link to the thread and post No 17. Here it is (I think):

http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/f2/best-se-de-great-2012-shave-off-396/

The Thomas Method, so named after our well respected member Glen Thomas, involves the use of an SE for the first pass and a DE for any subsequent passes.

thanks for the tips and advise. will try my next shave with a combo of SE/DE or maybe even SE/straight (i find a nice small straight to work wonders on the lips)

Of course in addition to being somewhat unnobel (disnoble? nobleless? in short a bit of a knob post) (Monsta Edit: I think the antonym you are looking for is 'ignoble') my post made absolutely no sense without the link to the thread and post No 17. Here it is (I think):

http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/f2/best-se-de-great-2012-shave-off-396/

The Thomas Method, so named after our well respected member Glen Thomas, involves the use of an SE for the first pass and a DE for any subsequent passes.

And the well respected member thanks you for your kind words - always knew you were a gentleman at heart.

Of course in addition to being somewhat unnobel (disnoble? nobleless? in short a bit of a knob post) (Monsta Edit: I think the antonym you are looking for is 'ignoble').......

Of course! I hadn't considered "ig".