My first few Straight Razor shaves

rc89

Hello Everyone,

I thought I'd share my experience so far with my first few shaves.

I received my actually shave-ready razor a couple weeks ago, along with soaps and brushes etc. but at this point I didn't have my strop yet. Eager to try it out, I decided to shave with the razor anyway well aware it may not perform well as it wasn't stropped.

Sure enough, I used on the straights of the cheeks and neck and felt some tugging here and there, but no cuts. I also forgot to pull the skin tight. Whether or not this was due to the un-stropped blade, not pulling the skin or my lack of experience I wasn't sure, but I didn't worry about it too much. I finished it up with a cartridge and that was that.

The 2nd time was after I had received the strop. I made 30 passes, and then proceeded to shave again. This time, no tugging! Not a big surprise, but good to know that issue was easily fixed. Again I went over the cheeks and neck, forgot to pull skin tight again. No cuts, but running my fingers WTG I could still feel a few hairs. Again, not too concerned about it, I finished up with a cartridge.

This morning was the 3rd time, and it went very much like the 2nd try, except this time I pulled the skin tight and could feel less hairs left over afterward. Plus, the alcohol aftershave I use stung the worst it had done so far. Not sure if that's a sign of doing something wrong this time compared to the other times?

So I'm slowly improving, just a matter of practise. The key things, I think, are the amount of pressure and the angle, and remembering to pull the skin tight. For the angle, it's a hard choice between having a good view of the razor's angle and having a good view of where the razor is sitting on my face, don't want to nick my ear lobes. But I think if I keep at it I won't need to look as closely at the positioning and I can focus soley on the angle which should help.

Anyway, hopefully I can keep this cut-free streak going, and gradually I'll come close to removing the same amount of hair as I do with the cartridge.

You seem to be off to a good start. A few thoughts;

Angle - LOW.
Pressure - NONE. Remove the lather, not the hair.
Hold the razor loose, but have enough grip you have full control.

The only time the razor should be in the way of you seeing the angle is when starting at the side burns. You will quickly find a position that will allow you to see by dropping your hand and pointing the razor toe up slightly. All strokes should be done with the edge NOT perpendicular to the direction of travel but here, inclining the blade will assist you seeing what's going on. Once you start, you can adjust the angle anyway. Make sure the razor is moving before you touch it to skin. Get the angle right, then start moving down slowly then bring it to your face slowly.

Lower the spine as you shave closer, but don't get too hung up on the actual angle. Vary the angle slightly as you do a single pass and you will soon find the sweet spot.