Need a new razor, the top keeps coming loose while shaving

Sorry for the late replies guys, been busy with some other stuff.

OK so as a temp measure, i bought some cheap "Big Roc" razor from a local seller : https://shopee.sg/Traditional-Salon...ache-Hair-Razor-Shaver-i.61238723.15018542602. It came with some signs of rust but it does do the job, although it seems to be a very mild shave. The free razor blade was useless of course and extremely blunt, so I quickly replaced it with a perma sharp. But its fine for a stop gap, although i think i will see if the seller will ship me a non-rusted one.

I don't think i have hard water. I am just using tap water here, and it's a city apartment building.

I was under the impression that full stainless steel razors were really expensive, in the range of $150+. What are the affordable options for SS razors? Looking at the RazoRock website for example, it seems they have a SS razor called the "Game Changer" for $55.

I am thinking of trying an affordable butterfly razor first though to see whether it will hold up properly. Does anyone have any suggestions? Trying to keep it within $20-30 if possible.

As for how I use the razor...I generally shave 4-5 times before changing the blade, and when i change the blade, I disassemble and soak the razor in dishwashing liquid. Unfortunately, that hasnt proved sufficient for getting rid of proraso soap scum...i guess i will try soaking with iso alcohol next time. That shouldn't damage the razor right? And I rinse the razor as much as possible after each use (just not disassembling it).

Edit : Wait a minute, are all butterfly razors "twist handle to open" types?

Last edited:
Sorry for the late replies guys, been busy with some other stuff.

OK so as a temp measure, i bought some cheap "Big Roc" razor from a local seller : https://shopee.sg/Traditional-Salon...ache-Hair-Razor-Shaver-i.61238723.15018542602. It came with some signs of rust but it does do the job, although it seems to be a very mild shave. The free razor blade was useless of course and extremely blunt, so I quickly replaced it with a perma sharp. But its fine for a stop gap, although i think i will see if the seller will ship me a non-rusted one.

I don't think i have hard water. I am just using tap water here, and it's a city apartment building.

I was under the impression that full stainless steel razors were really expensive, in the range of $150+. What are the affordable options for SS razors? Looking at the RazoRock website for example, it seems they have a SS razor called the "Game Changer" for $55.

I am thinking of trying an affordable butterfly razor first though to see whether it will hold up properly. Does anyone have any suggestions? Trying to keep it within $20-30 if possible.

As for how I use the razor...I generally shave 4-5 times before changing the blade, and when i change the blade, I disassemble and soak the razor in dishwashing liquid. Unfortunately, that hasnt proved sufficient for getting rid of proraso soap scum...i guess i will try soaking with iso alcohol next time. That shouldn't damage the razor right? And I rinse the razor as much as possible after each use (just not disassembling it).

Edit : Wait a minute, are all butterfly razors "twist handle to open" types?

Stainless Steel razors used to be very expensive and many still are but you'd do hard to find better than the Game Changer as plenty efficient without the blade feel or bite. Make sure to disassemble the razor after each shave and rinse blade, don't wipe as you can damage the edge and you should be able to get a weeks worth of good shaves with a single blade before needing to replace. If you leave the blade in it can rust and damage the plating/surface...

I do this after every shave to eliminate soap build up and it shouldn't require more than a quick scrub under warm water and if you keep blade in the razor just dunk it in a jar of iso alcohol then shake and leave to dry but to truly clean it just disassemble post shave everytime and avoid abrasive cleaners as you don't want to strip the plating unless using Stainless such as Game Changer as its not platted but machined from SS 304. Iso alcohol shouldn't damage the razor unless you leave for prolonged time and it will damage a DE blade from experience but a quick dunk, shake to sanitize is sufficient after each shave but I prefer full rinse and scrub to get all the soap off using toothpaste or dish liquid.

The most common cheapo TTO/butterfly style is the Weishi 9306 or its many clones and for the price it feels cheap but you have the choice of finish (chrome, gold plating, titanium, etc) and it shaves good for the price. There are heavier brass ones with Yaqi, Pearl selling budget adjustable and yes the good majority are twist open as they mimic vintage Gillette's proven design/s with slight modifications/modernization.

The Big Roc razor looks like a Gillette Tech clone with a Weishi/Baili style handle so the shaves would be mild so you could get better efficiency trying a few types of blades but that's another can of worms and for variety go with a Weishi 9306 as cheap yet efficient on the #3-4 settings without bankrupting you... Happy Shaves!

Thats $55 USD (not including shipping) VSHOD have them locally for under $130 AUD.

If you are not picky about new or used, there is a seller on eBay with a Lupo Aluminium for $45 + postage, a Yaqi Telstar SS head with a Razorock SS handle for the same price. Otherwise I have a Razorock Lupo DC SS head and a DSCosmetics Titanium handle going for $90 posted with a soap.