New member from sunny Townsville

Sunbird

Well, that is not really true.... we have had record rainfalls this week and it has been cold grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I have been wet shaving on and off for years but only seriosly for about three years.

I have been on two other well known sites based overseas and did not even know about this site until within the last 24 hours. One active member kindly told me about this Aus /NZ site, thanks.

I am suffering RAD, SAD and various other disorders enjoying a relatively inexpensive hobby. Over the past few months I have acquired a few classic vintage SE as well DE razors. I have also dabbled with a couple of straights including a DOVO shavette which I think is great as well as a lovely Bengall.

I look forward to learning more about the local scene. Are there any members in TVL?

Sunbird

Well a big welcome to you Sunbird.

I think you are our only Townsville based member but could be wrong. There are a couple of Queenslanders but I'm not sure where they are located.

Sounds like you have the ADs B-A-D, I have no solution for that I'm afraid but, as you say, it is relatively inexpensive ;)

Happy shaving!

Welcome Sunbird!

Hope to see you posting. It sounds like you are pretty accomplished. I may have to hit you up for tips!! :D

I have some straights as well as DE's. Never been game to try those shavettes!

Hello Sunbird. Two new members in as many days! We're in danger of getting really big here. Thankfully I think I've got my ADs under control. But it took a while.

Welcome aboard mate.
Good to see Townsville representing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thanks for the big welcome guys.
This morning I experienced my first shave with DR Harris Arlington shave soap. Brush was a Simpson Duke 2, a Gillette Fatboy loaded with a Feather blade followed up with OLAY Mens After Shave toner. All very pleasant.
I do like the Arlington soap, very slick and face lathers into a smooth creamy lather.
Sunbird

How did you find the feather to use?

Most on here would agree it is almost too sharp to the point of unusable.

It's probably the only blade I don't trust, and go ultra slow when using.

Arlington is a good soap, I've still got a puck of Marlborough I am yet to try out.

Most on here would agree it is almost too sharp to the point of unusable.

It's probably the only blade I don't trust, and go ultra slow when using.

Arlington is a good soap, I've still got a puck of Marlborough I am yet to try out.

Hi JugV2,

I purchased 100 feathers on the internet from a vendor in Singapore via the fleabay. It has been the only DE blade I have used over the last six months. I rotate each week beteween a G Slim, G Fatboy, EJ89L and a Progress. I very much like the feather blade and have NEVER nicked myself or had a weaper... I have developed a VERY light touch holding the razor lightly and just depend on the weight of the razor to do the job. Generally a NS and SN two pass shave is all I need. If I have lots of lather left on the brush (Simpson Duke 2 this week) and cannot waste it I will do an EW or ATG as well.

I still have a sampler pack of what seems to be PPI blades from Connaughts which I must get around to trying.

I also have a collection of SE razors which is another story. They give an equally close shave and are fun to use. At weekends the straights come out for a bit of fun.:cool:

I have now turned the chore of shaving into something I look forward to every morning.
I am sure proper preparation and use of a good soap or cream helps a lot.

The original safety too whatever that means???

Hi pablo-h,

Thanks for the reference. I have now signed up for yet another shaving forum. You will be the death of me...........:eek:mg:

I have been researching Autostrop razors for a while as I do not have one and got very excited over the excellent article on Valet Autostrops.

Has anyone here any advice on which model to look for?

I am also tempted to add a Rolls Razor to the collection, just because I dont have one.

This is getting very SAD! :sad2:

Sunbird

Nice one Sunbird.

I like the feather but only get 2 good shaves. #3 always ends with a nick here or there and the smoothness seems to drop way off for me. Probably my dud technique!