New Razor for Drubs

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Got a few too Off-Topic Infringements against my name, so pursuing a new handle/razor for @Drubbing. What can I say I likes to help.

To recap.

Drubs original request from SOTD:
It's Official. The razor I started with and championed in my more enthusiastic days, is no more. I gave the 34C a final run with a Feather, with a repacement head I had, wondering if it might mild it up.

It didn't. The 34C is permanently retired. I had to settle for a rough feeling ok shave, lest I do my face some hurt.

I would like a longer handle, the 30C is rather stumpy. Anyone know whether the long handled Merkurs would fit? a 23C is a 3 piece too, so it should. If not, I'd end up with a 23C which may or may not be as aggresive as the 34, as consensus is that all regular closed comb Merkur heads are the same.

Not in the case of my 34 and 30 they're not.

I suggested the Weber PH with classic handle. No dice.

Webers are a pain in the arse to buy. You can't get them from amazon and they only sell handles on ebay. Which cost $65 delivered...

23C is $34 delivered.

So continuing on from there.

If Webers are a pain to source mate, might I suggest the new stock of iKon long handles from ShaverHut. Specs seem good with it weighing in at 90g and 100mm long (ignore the site's description of 1000mm...though be funny to watch you shaving with it)

I realise the price still high but, again, it is stainless steel.

Standard thread means you can attach most whatever head you like mate.

How about a plastic fantastic from @Pjotr's collection?

Or maybe a SE from @gthomas's huge stock?

Well based on the somewhat limited info it sounds like he's wanting something with a longer handle but a tad milder than the 34c, without spending too much coin and also having to dick around sourcing through a mail forwarder in Lapland etc. All which is fair enough.

The initial suggestions I'd have would be:
  • Any of the EJ razors: I bought one of these a while back and I have to say they're really lovely razors, often panned IMHO unfairly as they're recommended for newbies. They all have the same head - so just a matter of finding a handle that you like. Standard length is 85mm (the 23c you alluded too is 95mm). The laser 3d cut handle version is a great choice as I think it would provide a lot of the 'grip' of some of the high end stainless ones but at only 8quid more than the 23c. The finish/QC between the EJ/Muhle is way above Merkurs, so it will really seem like a price tier above what you pay. They also have some long handled versions, these give you an extra 8mm but personally I like the 3D. Really very nice shavers.
  • Muhle R89 Grande: From all reports same head as the EJ closed range but with Muhle branding (which is a tad nicer IMHO). 100mm handle!!! And also looks like a reasonably tactile grip pattern on it. Pretty good value at around the same price as the EJ 3D.
  • This is an 'outside the box' suggestion: But take the excellent Muhle R89 head and apop it on a handle you already have and like or another one you source. If you want to be a real smartie you could toss a Lord L6 Premium into your order with the head - less than 20quid for the pair - and that comes with a 95mm handle thats nothing flash but reasonably tactile and will screw into the Muhle head (the L6 is a Merkur head clone and a good razor, I have one) - the handle is aluminium. Like I said the Lord is just a rough idea for the handle but getting the Muhle head alone is good if you know what handle to pop on it.
  • Parker 98R: Forget the old QC issues that Parker had - apparently thats LONG GONE - these have pretty good reports on them, but still not EJ/Muhle level but at Merkur level IMHO. Apparently a good shaver, I think it's between a 34c and EJ/Muhle in aggressiveness but DYOR. Nice heft and another 100mm handle for a very low price!
All up I think the Muhle R89 Grande is the best choice but the Parker 98R isn't bad for half the price - but do check if recent reports on how it shaves suit you. But thats where I feel the R89 will be bang on, so perhaps the safer choice.

On a sidenote, very surprising to hear that the Merkur heads don't shave the same for you - I don't doubt this as you know your stuff but perhaps its more a product of the weight/handle length etc of the 34c vs 30c rather than actual head geometry being different - but either way is interesting to note as they all do look like absolute dead ringers for each other.

I feel the love. Don't expect any cheerfulness.

A bit late though. I bought a 23C from Shaving.ie. If it turns out too aggressive like my 34, the handle should fit my 30. I really don't have a SS fetish. Sorry. Probably a bann-able offence, but what can you do?

Ikon is a bit pricey, but not too bad. I think it looks too heavy though.

Well based on the somewhat limited info it sounds like he's wanting something with a longer handle but a tad milder than the 34c, without spending too much coin and also having to dick around sourcing through a mail forwarder in Lapland etc. All which is fair enough.
On a sidenote, very surprising to hear that the Merkur heads don't shave the same for you - I don't doubt this as you know your stuff but perhaps its more a product of the weight/handle length etc of the 34c vs 30c rather than actual head geometry being different - but either way is interesting to note as they all do look like absolute dead ringers for each other.

Pretty much…

As for the Merkur heads. They SHOULD all be the same apparently, but those wacky German funsters and their dodgy QC… That's my only rationale. The 30 is as good as the 34, without the bite. As I mentioned a long while back, it smooths out rough blades, and tames the sharp ones. Don't know how, but it does. I asked Nathan if they were meant to be all the same, and that was his understanding. But YKW wiki cites a different blade gap for both.