Newbie questions: Wet shaving, What to look for in a vintage razor

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hello all,

Some (hopefully not too annoying) newbie questions for you all:

Wet shaving?

Other than watching through these youtube videos:
WATCH THESE FIRST! Introduction to Traditional Wetshaving - YouTube

are there any other recommended readings for someone who is new to Wet shaving? I'm a big fan of step-by-step guides.

Would also be interested in reading up on how to best care for my brush/razor.

What to look for in a vintage razor?

One of my hobbies is finding and restoring old IBM computer keyboards. I know enough to be able to tell very quickly if one of these on ebay is a)genuine b)a good price and c)able to be easily fixed (off-topic- if this is something that interests you feel free to PM me).

However, with vintage razors like the Slim and Fatboy I have no idea :sad2: So, if anyone would care to share some pointers in this area it would be greatly appreciated. Specifically:

-Common faults/points of failure
-Rough pricing guide
-Any other tips that someone like myself should know!

I think long term, I'd like to own at least one vintage and one modern razor (let me guess- plenty of you on here said that at one point and now own more razors than there are days of the week!).

Thanks in advance for your replies. Please don't think that I'm asking to be spoon-fed anything- if the information I'm after is readily available elsewhere just point me in the right direction!

Just remember that you are buying something that was designed to last. Razors are pretty solid things.

Some points to look at:

• Don't worry about varnish or plate loss. You can get a razor replated if you really love it.
  • In most cases, the TTO (Twist To Open) style razors need to close tightly, and have no gaps.
  • Most vintage razors when dropped will get some damage, this may not be easy to see in photos, but you will feel it in a shave
  • Looking at open comb razors, you want the 'teeth' to be straight.
  • Don't worry if it is filthy, most of them clean up really nice.

And now the ones to look for in my own opinion:
  • Gillette Slim
  • Gillette Fatboy - here's one not listed as a Fatboy: eBay
  • Gillette Red Tip Superspeed
  • Gillette Super Adjustable (looks like a Slim, but with a plastic handle)
  • Gillette Common-Bar NEW

There are others. The Gillette 'Tech' is a nice razor but too light in my opinion. Many guys like feathers in them, the combination of a very mild razor with a really sharp blade is considered balanced.

There's a whole heap of the English razors which are expensive, and then there is also some like the Presidents... all will go at high prices as they are collectable. All shave really well though.

Here's my eBay shortcut link. Just sort it by "Price: Item + postage lowest first" and look for some bargains!

Thanks for the replies.

The 'designed to last' aspect is particularly appealing to me- I love over-engineered things that out last and out perform their modern-day counterparts (did I mention IBM keyboards?). That these items are often things that are casually discarded with little thought is a shame, but at least it means that if you are someone that appreciates such things you can sometimes get them at a great price :)

Interesting you mention English razors- I'm actually headed to the UK later in the year. Was already planning to look into getting some wet-shaving consumables while I was there (assuming they are cheaper/easier to come by than simply ordering online). Will have to keep my eyes peeled for some nice vintage razors too.

Beyond visual damage there's very little that can go wrong with a vintage razor, they mostly seem to be bulletproof. I have a '65 Slim that looks nothing more thna a few years old, but Gillettes aren't my thing, so I only have one razor and almost got voted off the forum...

A decent slim will cost around $25-35, so you're not going to go broke if you happen on a poor one.. Anthing 'unaffordable' or owned by Mark will be a mint, or near mint collectable and really isn't worth paying for to shave with.

Find something you like and Mark will be able to identify it, date it, price it, and tell you how many tea breaks the line worker who made it had that week.

You won't get bargains in the UK - the hoity-toity stuff sells for the same or more there, as it does online. The only real advantage is being able to scratch and sniff. And IMO, the quality cheaper stuff is as good as, or better than most of it. The pricey stuff just has more scent options.

Last edited:
Beyond visual damage there's very little that can go wrong with a vintage razor, they mostly seem to be bulletproof. I have a '65 Slim that looks nothing more thna a few years old, but Gillettes aren't my thing, so I only have one razor and almost got voted off the forum...

A decent slim will cost around $25-35, so you're not going to go broke if you happen on a poor one.. Anthing 'unaffordable' or owned by Mark will be a mint, or near mint collectable and really isn't worth paying for to shave with.

Find something you like and Mark will be able to identify it, date it, price it, and tell you how many tea breaks the line worker who made it had that week.

You won't get bargains in the UK - the hoity-toity stuff sells for the same or more there, as it does online. The only real advantage is being able to scratch and sniff. And IMO, the quality cheaper stuff is as good as, or better than most of it. The pricey stuff just has more scent options.

Thanks for the tips. When I say I'll look in the UK, the plan will be to look for razors in the antique/charity shops while my wife is looking for...whatever it is she looks for in these stores. I just know that we'll be headed to lots of 'op shops' while we are there, so hopefully there may some bargains to be had.

Mark has an amazing collection!

I think we might as well wait for Mark to pop along here

http://www.paste-and-cut.com.au/f2/few-razors-hone-couple-mugs-384/

LOL, my first point was to say do not to look for something that Mark is already looking for, as you'd be wasting your time as he will get it!
Maybe ask Mark he might need to get rid of a razor without a case for some NOS razor or one with a case a or shipper he just bought Ha Ha.

As said before, the gillette slim is a good well engineered razor that's still easy enough to find. And if going to UK, maybe look for a british gillette NEW, or flare tip, could get lucky with an aristocrat as well if interested in antique, op shop or charity store shopping.

Last edited:
LOL, my first point was to say do not to look for something that Mark is already looking for, as you'd be wasting your time as he will get it!
Maybe ask Mark he might need to get rid of a razor without a case for some NOS razor or one with a case a or shipper he just bought Ha Ha.

As said before, the gillette slim is a good well engineered razor that's still easy enough to find. And if going to UK, maybe look for a british gillette NEW, or flare tip, could get lucky with an aristocrat as well if interested in antique, op shop or charity store shopping.

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, its would seem futile to pit myself against a collector such as Mark :laugh:

Gillette Slim is looking like a good choice. I'm thinking maybe a Fatboy would be a good contrast to my 'lighter' EJ I have on the way.

Ok, must be time to wade into this discussion since I've been sledged so effectively to date!

To be honest I've got most of what I want now and the only things left end up selling for more than sensible people will bid so I'll not be cramping your style.

The Slim and the Fatboy shave quite differently IMHO with the handle and balance providing a lot of that effect.

There are some great non-adjustables worth trying as well. In the affordable range the Rocket HD is great and an open comb NEW is also a must have. Both can be picked up sub-$50, much less for a user grade NEW.

Happy hunting and PM me if you want any info.

Ok, must be time to wade into this discussion since I've been sledged so effectively to date!

To be honest I've got most of what I want now and the only things left end up selling for more than sensible people will bid so I'll not be cramping your style.

The Slim and the Fatboy shave quite differently IMHO with the handle and balance providing a lot of that effect.

There are some great non-adjustables worth trying as well. In the affordable range the Rocket HD is great and an open comb NEW is also a must have. Both can be picked up sub-$50, much less for a user grade NEW.

Happy hunting and PM me if you want any info.

Thanks Mark, I think I might just take you up on that PM.