[NOV12] Move of hosting server issue reporting thread

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Any issues you have found since the hosting changes should be reported into this thread. Any general comments about speed and/or performance is also appreciated.

ISSUES FIXED:
  • public_html files permission error (chown & chgrp)
  • Broken links (missing VBseo .htaccess)
  • 500 Errors (.htaccess permission issue)

The site previously ran as a VPS (Virtual Private Server) from Jumba - now a part of UberGlobal. Due to costs the VPS was provisioned with not enough memory, and the storage systems were overloaded, resulting in poor performance.

We are now running on hardware which I administer as a part of my job. We have two HP DL380 Gen8 servers housed within the GlobalSwitch Datacentre in Ultimo, Sydney. Each server has two Quadcore Intel Xeon E5-2650 CPU's running at 2GHz, a reasonable 32GB of RAM in each, and around 6.3TB of disk space in RAID5 on 10,000RPM SAS hard disks. We are running VMware vSphere as our hypervisor, and I have full access from home or work.

The VPS now has the latest version of CentOS as the operating system, plus we are now using a free cPanel competitor called zPanelX. We have 2vCPU's, 2GB of RAM, 50GB of disk, and pretty much unlimited data transfers.

You should see a fairly substantial improvement in performance across the board. I suspect most will notice posting speed is much improved, and searching for threads is lightning fast.

If I just say 'WOW' does that capture the sense that this is largely over my head but I'm appreciative?

Much appreciated RM. I noticed the improved speed immediately.

Are you sure you've provisioned enough disk? Let's hope Mark doesn't post photos of all his gear... B-)

It's not that bad ;)

We will be moving to an OCAU-style image policy - basically you need to host it yourself, or put it on a free image host and link from there. You will not be allowed to link images from other sources.

I already do this, it comes from this same server but is served by a different domain.

Thats good, at least it is not just me thinking it is faster. :cool:

Thank you. Looks like its a lot faster! We're at least on the same day right now!!☺