One problem solved.. another begins

StratMan

so my RAD, BAD and SAD are totally under control BUT my GAD is not, so I celebrated this with a NAD :)

What you see below is a Orange Micro Terror amp head with a 8" speaker. Just for context, that is a small iphone7 next to the amp head. Dont let the size of the amp head fool you, it has balls and is not a toy... I wanted something ultra small and portable. Took the gear home and was hanging to hear the tone of my new gear but was very disappointed :(
The sound coming from the tiny speaker was just that, tiny tinny and crappy, sort of sounded like farting into a shoe box..
This didn't come as a surprise but I was hoping for the best. Plugged my headphones into the amp and WOW!!! incredible sound, and totally blew me away but the speaker had to go.

52716445968_f893c542d5_c.jpg

Went back to the store the next morning to upgrade to a 1x12" Orange cab, and keep the amp.. Played but wasn't sold on amp at low volume levels, you really need to crank it up to get the goodness of the tubes... While there though, another amp caught my eye so I plugged it in and WOOOOWWW!!

This blew me away, full amp combo with head and speaker in the one unit, with a 10" speaker.. and ALL TUBE which gives such a rich organic sound. This amp also has a switch where you can limit the power output from 15W to 7.5W and 1W to 0.5W. What this does is allows you to crank up the tone/distortion knobs at low power which results in an amazingly rich tone as bedroom levels, and if you needed more power/volume no worries with plenty on tap with the flick of a switch.

I left the store will a much bigger hole in my pocket but man it was worth it.. I just cant put the amp down

52716383600_c53d54177e_c.jpg

so my RAD, BAD and SAD are totally under control BUT my GAD is not, so I celebrated this with a NAD :)

What you see below is a Orange Micro Terror amp head with a 8" speaker. Just for context, that is a small iphone7 next to the amp head. Dont let the size of the amp head fool you, it has balls and is not a toy... I wanted something ultra small and portable. Took the gear home and was hanging to hear the tone of my new gear but was very disappointed :(
The sound coming from the tiny speaker was just that, tiny tinny and crappy, sort of sounded like farting into a shoe box..
This didn't come as a surprise but I was hoping for the best. Plugged my headphones into the amp and WOW!!! incredible sound, and totally blew me away but the speaker had to go.

52716445968_f893c542d5_c.jpg

Went back to the store the next morning to upgrade to a 1x12" Orange cab, and keep the amp.. Played but wasn't sold on amp at low volume levels, you really need to crank it up to get the goodness of the tubes... While there though, another amp caught my eye so I plugged it in and WOOOOWWW!!

This blew me away, full amp combo with head and speaker in the one unit, with a 10" speaker.. and ALL TUBE which gives such a rich organic sound. This amp also has a switch where you can limit the power output from 15W to 7.5W and 1W to 0.5W. What this does is allows you to crank up the tone/distortion knobs at low power which results in an amazingly rich tone as bedroom levels, and if you needed more power/volume no worries with plenty on tap with the flick of a switch.

I left the store will a much bigger hole in my pocket but man it was worth it.. I just cant put the amp down

52716383600_c53d54177e_c.jpg
Nice little Les Paul you have there :)

Nice! I wish I had this information when I had money, space and drive. It really sounds up my alley.
Epiphone made some really underrated guitars at one point. I felt like their version of the Les Paul were exceeding that of modern Gibson guitars. I'm not sure what is going on in the guitar world these days but last I heard Gibson were going to shit and were in a lot of financial trouble but from what I remember the sales for musical instruments had dropped altogether which is sad.

OR15... very nice...

If you kept the micro terror and small cab, a speaker upgrade could have helped with the small sound. My Bugera V5 8" speaker was replaced with a Celestion 8-15 and that did wonders to open it up more for minimal cost. Changing the tubes gave the most improvement in tone though.

Nice! I wish I had this information when I had money, space and drive. It really sounds up my alley.
Epiphone made some really underrated guitars at one point. I felt like their version of the Les Paul were exceeding that of modern Gibson guitars. I'm not sure what is going on in the guitar world these days but last I heard Gibson were going to shit and were in a lot of financial trouble but from what I remember the sales for musical instruments had dropped altogether which is sad.

Always time to get your drive back mate, money and space are different issues but all you need to get your groove back is killer sound and this amp is the perfect way for this to click.

I had been neglecting my electrics for a while in place of the natural sound of the accoustic guitars and bouzoukis but since getting this, the roles have been reversed and finding it hard to not play.

for reference the amp is the Orange Rocker 15 https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-combos/rocker-series/rocker-15/

Gibson have been in decline since the early 2000s when they started using cheap woods for their instruments and instead of lowering costs with inferior wood they increased costs. They also started adding tuners into their guitars which sucked the tone out of the instrument. The company has made bad decision after bad decision and they are not the company they used to be.

In regards to my gold top, its a traditional pro so the PUPs are decent and has the pull/push knobs to try emulate the clean single coil sound. Gibsons are now way overpriced for product and If i were looking for another guitar it would be going for a cheaper guitar like a epiphone or squire and just get the thing setup correctly and upgrade the PUPs.

@Gargravarr Gibson also do the same (have les paul printed on their headstocks)

@neongas you are spot on regarding tubes and speakers to improve sound quality. Firstly let me say the micro terror is no toy (despite) its comically small size. It is 20W and packs a punch, when connecting my headphones the potential of the amp was evident.. kick ass

I also tried a 1x12 speaker cab with the head which was a marked improvement but still was non comparable to how amazing the sounds was from the rocker 15.

Firstly the rocker 15 is all tube where as the MT is a hybrid tube (pre amp) and solid state in other section amp.
The other issue is to get a 12inch speaker cab to sing you need volume where as the attenuator on the rocker 15 allows for awesome tubely goodness at low levels

I intended to get the 1x12 speaker cab but was blown away by the rocker

@Gargravarr Gibson also do the same (have les paul printed on their headstocks)

@neongas you are spot on regarding tubes and speakers to improve sound quality. Firstly let me say the micro terror is no toy (despite) its comically small size. It is 20W and packs a punch, when connecting my headphones the potential of the amp was evident.. kick ass

I also tried a 1x12 speaker cab with the head which was a marked improvement but still was non comparable to how amazing the sounds was from the rocker 15.

Firstly the rocker 15 is all tube where as the MT is a hybrid tube (pre amp) and solid state in other section amp.
The other issue is to get a 12inch speaker cab to sing you need volume where as the attenuator on the rocker 15 allows for awesome tubely goodness at low levels

I intended to get the 1x12 speaker cab but was blown away by the rocker
I agree, if only I had the space (and younger eardrums) to handle optimum volume.

LoudisMoreGood_2048x2048.png

@neongas I forgot to add, once i get some funds together I am going to upgrade my american std strat with a new paintjob, going from a sunburst to a custom olympic white pearl paintjob along with a nice red tortoise shell pickguard, along with some custom wound vintage 50s or 60s PUPs.

Once the dust settles and I save some more $$ I will be embarking on my final piece of the puzzle.. When I bought my original blues junior tube amp I immediately ripped out the custom Eminence speaker and replaced it with a cannabis rex. I will order a custom made speaker cab (no speaker) in blonde tolex and ox-blood grille and add the Eminence speaker.. this will match the White/tortoise shell strat upgrade perfectly

US14011118-4_5000x.jpg

fender-american-elite-strat-white-2-j1SxjPG.jpg

magnatone-twilighter-22w-reverb-vibrato-1x12-combo.jpg