PIF - English Kamisori (Shorty) Worldwide

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Another SR courtesy of @LesC. This is a new Windrose symmetrically ground kamisori in its original case. When forwarded to me, this kamisori required some light grinding on the point to correct a very minor defect. The grinding somewhat shortened the blade's edge length a little.

lxHT9I0.jpg

bl46VuX.jpg

de1Y4th.jpg

ZjTAyhh.jpg

RLxC0Fx.jpg
Technical Stuff:
Manufacturer = Windrose (?), England (?)​
Blade material = stainless(?) steel​
Grind = half hollow symmetrical​
Point style = Dutch (round)​
Blade width = 21.5mm (7/8)​
Edge length = 31mm​
Stabilizers = none​
Spine decoration = none​
Balance = 75mm from point​
Length overall = 139mm​
Mass = 50g​
Case = steel with hinged lid​
This razor is best suited for an experienced SR shaver or one with a beard for edging. It has been honed (without tape) to bevel-set only. You will need to further refine and finish the edge to your preference.

To Win:
First to post "I'm in" wins. Winner will be required to pay postage as follows within 72 hours:​
Australia = AU$12.20 in 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.10) in 8 to 12 business days​
Asia Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$13.60) in 10 to 18 business days​
USA/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.25) in 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$18.65) in 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of the world = AU$35.60 (about US$22.45) in 15 to 25 business days​
Winner will be contacted via PM on P&C.​

Last edited:
Your surgery on that blade makes the blade length not vastly different to many Japanese kamisoris. I like that a lot.

If I were not a head shaver, I would be very tempted to enthusiastically say I'm in, as kamis are (or were) where it's at for me. As it is, I also have to face the reality that arthritis is giving me more and more trouble with my grip, and I can just see an accident happening. I can hardly complain though, some of us have much more serious health issues.

No tips yet. I have never honed one to shave-ready. This Windrose kamisori has a symmetrical grind half-hollow so I set the bevel just as I set bevels on western style SRs.

Like most new SRs this SR came with a multifaceted bevel. It now has just a single faceted bevel. I will hone it to shave-ready tomorrow (Saturday) finishing on diamond pasted balsa and shave-test Sunday - comparing it against my Bengall shorty.

@Holiday you are in for a treat. This morning I shave-tested your English style kamisori. This was the first time that I have ever shaved with a fixed-handle SR, also the shortest edge I have ever shaved with.

It took a few strokes to get use to shaving with it but nothing too difficult. It really needs to be used with a very flat shave angle. I also found that it made it easier to get a closer finish in the hollows of my neck.

The smoothness of shaving with this kamisori astounded me. It ready was like shaving with a squeegee when going WTG and XTG. There was just a little feel of cutting whiskers when going ATG.

I love this little beauty!

I will reluctantly be posting it off to you tomorrow (Monday) and you should receive it within 5 to 10 business days.

If you ever find that this razor is just not for you, please return it to me and the razor will never leave me again. I will pay you double the postage. It really is that good.

Last edited:
Don't worry @rbscebu if it ever leaves my den it will be posted back to you free of charge.
I really appreciate the offer to try out such a pretty razor and one of your fine edges.
Might even attempt a fool's pass after MOctober/MOvember

I've admired these Windrose blades for quite some time, and I had wondered whether @rbscebu might end up regretting sending this razor along. I have a suspicion that it might be even better as a shorty than its original configuration.

I was on the edge of posting an "I'm in after all and bugger the literally bloody consequences" when @Holiday saved me. I reckon he won't regret it. :D