PIF No. 19 (Worldwide) - Shave-ready Yintal "HongT" ⅞ Dutch Point Straight Razor

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Note: There are still shave-ready new razors available in PIF No. 11.

Through the benevolence of @Phil Harmonica donating one of his much treasured straight razors, I am able to offer this much sort-after Yintal "HongT" straight razor. The razor was NIB when I received it. I have since shaved with it only four times while perfecting the blade's factory edge. I have also reworked the scales to remove the sharp corners and restore the timber's lustre.

When I first saw this SR, I thought that it was just a razor shaped object (RSO) but @Phil Harmonica assured me that, with as good honing, it shaves surprisingly well. With this encouragement, I honed it up and was pleasantly surprised at how well it shaves. This razor is suitable for a beginner (if you don't mind the larger blade) or a more experienced SR shaver. This PIF is worth it just for the timber scales - they look absolutely stunning!

Here is what the winner will receive:
VD2OCBb.jpg

IsfTXf7.jpg

k529m0j.jpg

Technical Details (approximate measurements):

Maker = Yintal (China)​
Model = “HongT”​
Year of manufacture = recent​
Blade material = Chinese stainless steel (?)​
Blade finish = matt both sides​
Point style = Dutch (round)​
Grind = half hollow +​
Blade width = 21mm (⅞)​
Bevel angle = 15.2°​
Blade thickness = 0.31mm at top of bevel​
Edge length = 67mm​
Edge smile = <1mm​
Spine-wear smile = none​
Stabilizers = none​
Jimps = bottom of shank only​
Tail length = 27mm opened 270°​
Scales material = red beechwood timber​
Pins = 2 of brass (truncated cone type)​
Wedge = parallel of aluminium alloy (probably 6061T6)​
Length closed = 165mm​
Length opened 180° = 248mm​
Balance point (opened 180°) = 6mm from pivot pin towards blade​
Mass = 58g​
Markings = none​

Condition:

This straight razor is shave-ready (to my standard) and in as-new condition except for some slight spine wear from its initial honing. Since receiving this razor, I have used it only once on my silken whisker for only four shaves as I developed the edge quality. After the last shave, the edge was refreshed on diamond pasted balsa down to 0.1μm and then stropped on clean Kyrgyzstan calf leather. It is supplied stropped and ready to use. The lucky winner will not be disappointed.​
Note: The razor's blade is not perfectly centred so care needs to be taken when closing so that the edge does not contact the scales. This razor is suitable for a beginner (who doesn't mind a bigger blade) and also those more experienced in the art. It is a pleasure to shave with and would be particular appreciated by a gentleman who wishes to shave with a fine vintage straight razor.​

Rules:

1. This PIF is open to all P&C members worldwide.​
2. You must have been a member of P&C on 29 May 2024.​
3. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below). You can pay with PayPal, bank transfer or BTC/Lightning.​
4. The PIF remains open until won.​

How to enter:

This PIF requires some skilful guessing. I have thought of a number between 1 and 20 inclusive. You need to guess that number (a whole number and it is not 3, 8, 14 or 20 that won previous PIFs). You are allowed multiple guesses however each of your guesses must be at least 24 hours apart. To win this PIF, just post "I'm in" with your guess of the number. [e.g., I'm in 14]. First to guess the correct number will win.​

If you find that this SR is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.​

Postage Rates:

Australia = AU$12.20 delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about NZ$19.05) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​

Respectfully not in. I have already benefited from your previous PIF straight razors.
I can highly recommend the quality of the edge achieved by @rbscebu.

While rummaging through one of my parts boxes, I came across a lovely hand-crafted mahogany case that is suitable for this razor.
gVa8RPN.jpg

s6dElIJ.jpg

If so desired by the winner of this PIF, I can include this case with the razor. If included, there will be a slight increase in postal charges for those outside of Australia. The postage rates for this PIF including this case are:

Australia = AU$12.20 delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$21.30 (about NZ$23.10) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$28.10 (about US$18.60) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$31.30 (about US$20.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$37.10 (about US$24.50) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$45.30 (about US$29.90) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​

Respectfully not in. However, I did pick up a HongT a little while back (came up on my AliX feed for $8, and I needed a few extra items to meet the minimum discount amount for coupons). I can advise that it is 100% definitely not shave ready out of its black cardboard box, although it does have "unique charm." It does handle better (more balanced) than your average Gold Dollar monkey razor, but as I thought the metal your basic RSO, I never bothered to put it to the stones and hone (really, for $8, it's worth it just to drill out the pins and salvage the scales, they are the real winner, tbh). Thank you for letting us know of its shaving potential. I'll try and give mine a hone later in the year (when I find the time).

ahPZEUB.jpg

Respectfully not in. However, I did pick up a HongT a little while back (came up on my AliX feed for $8, and I needed a few extra items to meet the minimum discount amount for coupons). I can advise that it is 100% definitely not shave ready out of its black cardboard box, although it does have "unique charm." It does handle better (more balanced) than your average Gold Dollar monkey razor, but as I thought the metal your basic RSO, I never bothered to put it to the stones and hone (really, for $8, it's worth it just to drill out the pins and salvage the scales, they are the real winner, tbh). Thank you for letting us know of its shaving potential. I'll try and give mine a hone later in the year (when I find the time).

ahPZEUB.jpg
That's the one. It hones up rather well. Don't know if it holds the edge over many shaves as I would strop it on diamond pasted balsa after each shave.

If you are unpinning the scales, do not drill the pin out. It is a two-piece pin of the truncated conical type. The two halves of the pin pull apart with some force required.