Recent Exchanges

Mycroft47

The moderators of this fine forum that we all enjoy have found it necessary to edit a somewhat abrasive exchange that detracted from the razor review that is delivered by our much respected member @Errol. And that action is fair enough and, of course, understood.
If only they were to be as judicious and even handed around this forums principle rule (don’t be a dick).
I, as many others, enjoy the informative, good natured and gentlemanly exchanges here at P&C but it must be said there is a common denominator when cordial exchanges here go south…….. ….
Next Google search “ How to leave a Forum?”

Leaving a forum is easy if that is what you really want to do. Just leave it. It's your life.

On the whole, I am content with the light-touch approach to moderation here. We may indeed be proud of the fact that our forum is still small and intimate enough (many of us know each other by their given names) that we can make allowances for mental health issues some members have previously mentioned, and not engage when passions get inflamed.

If at any point you are unhappy with other members posts, please just drop us a line and we will try our best to rectify things...

Leaving a forum is easy if that is what you really want to do. Just leave it. It's your life.

On the whole, I am content with the light-touch approach to moderation here. We may indeed be proud of the fact that our forum is still small and intimate enough (many of us know each other by their given names) that we can make allowances for mental health issues some members have previously mentioned, and not engage when passions get inflamed.
A studious reply indeed and not unexpected in the times in which we all breathe and take up space.
Allowances…….. of course……. My bad.

A studious reply indeed and not unexpected in the times in which we all breathe and take up space.
Allowances…….. of course……. My bad.
And it is quite clear “don’t be a dick” not my words. Maybe “don’t be a dick unless you suffer from…………. “ just saying if that’s what you’re saying?

As a new member, I was/am quite perplexed by the "don't be a dick" rule... Since joing, I have seen multiple instances of exchanges that I would have thought would have been infractions, only to remain unremarked upon by mods or other members. I just figured no-one actually cared.

There is always the "ignore" setting for a member you find too abrasive. I use that setting very occasionally, but it is used, particularly with prolific posters who can be abrasive and contribute little to the forums knowledge base.

Personally I prefer this forum's currently level of moderation. It works rather well for a smaller more intimate forum. Non-Americans tend to be less sensitive to the written word. Don't know why. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Another thought.

I do not think that we should strive for consistency in this forum's moderation. Members here are a diverse group from different countries and cultures. This diversity needs to be accommodated and taken into consideration when moderating.

I would hate to see this forum start to become styled towards just one country or culture. I have seen that happen with a few forums, particularly those based in the US. Let's keep this forum for mainly the eastern hemisphere, although it is based in Australia.

Another thought.

I do not think that we should strive for consistency in this forum's moderation. Members here are a diverse group from different countries and cultures. This diversity needs to be accommodated and taken into consideration when moderating.

I would hate to see this forum start to become styled towards just one country or culture. I have seen this happen with a few forums, particularly those based in the US. Let's keep this forum for the eastern hemisphere, although based in Australia.
When I was born I had no idea I'd have to accommodate for "diversity" because it wasn't very diverse and I had no expectation that it would ever be diverse. Nor has this country ever voted for it - it has simply snowballed and can't be turned back. The way things have panned out has been a rather unpleasant surprise to me. However given this is international forum (on the "world wide web") I accept that as somewhat par for the course and to be expected.

There's also the "Report" button for individual inappropriate posts.
👇👇

That implies that a newbie understands what constitutes "inappropriate". And if there is no indication, either formally from mods or informally from the members, about what that might look like, how does one determine what is over the line?

Again: we are here to help (and all have busy lives and can't be here at all times/check every post under a microscope)

Just drop us a line and we will be more than happy to help. If you think something is inappropriate - report it and it will be highlighted for us...you certainly won't get into any troubles, if we have a different view...

That implies that a newbie understands what constitutes "inappropriate". And if there is no indication, either formally from mods or informally from the members, about what that might look like, how does one determine what is over the line?
I was once one of those newbies and, at times, stepped over that unknown line. When I did, I was corrected by a few PMs form members and a moderator. That can be done with a smaller style forum.

I don't think we need a set of specific detailed forum rules.

I don't think we need a set of specific detailed forum rules.

To be clear, I am *not* asking for more rules. I am just commenting on my experience as someone new to the community. I read the rules carefully and then, in my opinion, saw them frequently flouted by the same poster and nothing was done about it. I give zero fucks about it personally, I'm just wary of the arbitrary enforcement of rules/power.

To be clear, I am *not* asking for more rules. I am just commenting on my experience as someone new to the community. I read the rules carefully and then, in my opinion, saw them frequently flouted by the same poster and nothing was done about it. I give zero fucks about it personally, I'm just wary of the arbitrary enforcement of rules/power.

Helpful feedback, as have been the observations from the OP @Mycroft47 and others.

We do try to be pretty light touch here, possibly in response to experiencing more heavy handed moderation on on overseas forums. In fact, I've probably let slide some posts I don't like - but with a PM to the member concerned saying not to take it further. When I've deleted posts I've also generally PM'ed the posters to explain and in some cases given them my mobile if they want to call and discuss it. There have also been posts between two members that reflects their relationship and banter that I wonder if others will necessarily understand as just been banter - in those cases I keep an eye on responses from others or reports.

In relation to what is 'inappropriate' - if you don't like it, report it. That is based on your judgement. The mods will then make a call. Again, I've sometimes PM'ed the person reporting it to understand why better and sometimes that clarifies things and it is deleted, on other occasions hopefully it has helped explain why things have been left there. I certainly appreciate any reports to help me assess where other people's 'lines' are drawn.

Very open to PM conversations on posts as well, but ...

... overall I really value the contributions in this forum and the positive tone that underpins it.

I am a new member.
I have sent one message which I do not considered rude or inappropriate. But potentially it could escalate (not into argument but had a potential to start be inappropriate).
I got a message from admin not to continue this kind of conversations. Very simple and easy way to fix the problem.