Requesting opinions - 2nd razor

Korbz

Good afternoon gents,

So I'm getting older soon and as a trade off, find myself in the fortuitous position of being able to procure a new razor. Whilst it may be a little early on my journey, I'm not going to pass on the opportunity.

I was thinking of trying to cover the bases over my first year (modern standard - 34c, Slant - 37/39c or Ikon and vintage adjustable). Given the vintages are a little harder to get, I was thinking it would be good to step into a 39c before chasing a fatboy/slim etc. next year.

I was hoping to get some words of wisdom, if I'm thinking along the right lines or other suggestions. There are varying review of the 37/39c vs. Ikon #102, with probably 50/50 split in preference. General gist I've picked up on, ikon smoother shave whilst being just as efficient, merkur exposed ends making it easier to negotiate under nose, and half the price whilst still being a fine slant.

Gifts and Care seem to be the cheapest as well (provided I load up with other products to reduce average shipping cost per item). Good excuse to buy some of the popular soaps for a trial (cella, mwf, tabac and Dr harris arlington).

Vintage British Aristocrat ;)

A Fatboy or a Slim will pretty much get the most out of any blade you put in it. They Fatboy is still my daily driver even though I have a few to choose from. They deliver a great shave - I prefer them over anything that is a 'standard modern' razor.

The Gillette Super Adjustables (aka Black Beauty) is also a fine razor and can be picked up reasonably cheaply is you act fast. Postage from the US is usually the killer part of the transaction.

Honestly - find a vintage at a reasonable price, get a reasonable Synthetic brush, and tub of Shaver Heaven soap. Job done. You will be able to get the odd bit of the other soaps from around here most of the time.

Gifts and Care seem to be the cheapest as well (provided I load up with other products to reduce average shipping cost per item). Good excuse to buy some of the popular soaps for a trial (cella, mwf, tabac and Dr harris arlington).

If you go with Gifts and Care use the code "P&C" for 10% off (y) would be worth getting some euro aftershaves too!

In terms of what I should be looking at/asking for an ebay sale I would assume
  • tto doors and adj dial are in working order
  • signs of deterioration/corrosion
  • seller feedback rating etc. std stuff
Anything else I'm missing? I've just loaded up gixen as per suggestion in other thread and adding some auctions now :)

Anything else I'm missing? I've just loaded up gixen as per suggestion in other thread and adding some auctions now :)

Yep - pretty much. If you want to PM me with any you are looking at I have a *little* experience in buying vintage razors online and would be happy to make observations.

Yep - pretty much. If you want to PM me with any you are looking at I have a *little* experience in buying vintage razors online and would be happy to make observations.

Just a tiny winy tiny little bit ;)

What the year and possibly quarter of construction for the razor is.
You're most likely seeking a Black Beauty if I've your approximate age correct.

Oh Curator of The Gillette Museum - Southern Hemisphere, that would be akin to NASA expressing they've dabbled in space exploration and Ferarri holding a passing interest in motor sports!

Spot on @borked I'm an X4 black beauty for birth year. I was looking at the slim and fat boys though as I like the metal finishes. Might just have to get all 3
And then you have the GunKote finishes from Delta Echo Razorworks too.....

Wise approach ;)
I am sure that you have something in the Museum's scratch & dent section....

Last edited:
Bought! And now the waiting game :) thanks again everyone for your assistance

Looks like GREAT buying at that price ...

Nah, it's crap.
Will save you the hassle and PM you my address,s o you can forward it direct to me for disposal ;)