Restoration - Kamisori Gara (Handle) Sheathing in Rattan Cane

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
The intention of this restoration is to sheath the gara (handle) of a Yamamasa kaimisori be wrapping rattan cane around the gara. AS this is my first try at rattan sheathing a kamisori's gara, I will keep it simple.

I started off with the kamisori looking like this:
AqxN2Go.jpg

1ibflV3.jpg

To help protect the gara's steel from moisture, I enamelled it and sheathed is with heat-shrink tubing. The process is covered in this thread:

The kamisori at gthe start of this sheathing project now looks like this:
o6MnfiC.jpg

wfQ4BRN.jpg

About 4 weeks ago, I ordered some rattan cane from China. It arrived in this morning's mail. The rattan is about 10m long x 4mm wide, costing under AU$5 including shipping. This is enough rattan cane for sheathing about 20 kamisori gara so I have plenty to make mistakes with.

The last time that I played with rattan cane was in Eastwood primary school, Sydney when I made a wastepaper basket. I don't remember much about that except that I had to soak the rattan cane in water for about 24 hours before use.

Here is the rattan cane that I have now received.
R8NqxKF.jpg

After studying photos of other rattan sheathed kamisori, I realised that the cane generally used was about 2mm wide. Mine was 4mm wide so I needed to strip it in half. I did this with a cutting board and Stanley (box-cutter) knife.

First I did some measuring of the kamisori and maths determined that I will need about 1m of 2mm wide rattan to sheath the gara. I cut off a little over 1m and commenced to strip it into two pieces each about 2mm wide.

Stripping the rattan to halve its width was not as easy as I thought. I started with some shorter length. The blade wants to follow the grain of the cane. This grain is not always running parallel to the edge of the cane and I was cutting by eye.
ard9eev.jpg

After a few experimental tries, I eventually felt confident enough to try it with a 1m length of cane. All worked well and my split cane came out with two 1m lengths each about 2mm ±0.5mm wide. With further practice, I might even get better at this. Here are the finished results:
RrwpowV.jpg

The split rattan cane is now soaking in cold water for about 24 hours. I will start to wrap the cane around the gara tomorrow.
4nVHaZW.jpg

More tomorrow.

Last edited:
The rattan was soaked for only about 12 hour as by then no more bubbles were being emitted from the cane. Taking the rattan out of the water, I then pulled it a few times through 600 grit W&D to remove any protruding cane hairs. Following the de-hairing, the rattan was pulled a few time through a clean towel to remove any excess water and loose particles.

IMPORTANT! Don't forget to tape the blade's edge for your protection before you start wrapping. Don't ask how I was reminded.

The wrapping of the rattan around the gara then commenced, starting near the pinch area and working my way towards the tail. It took me three attempts but I finally got a result that I was reasonably happy with (for a first attempt). The first attempt was not good enough as I did not pay enough attention to getting the rattan close enough to each wrap. I also had problems fining the wrapping off at the tail. The second attempt produced a good wrapping but still had a problem finishing off at the tail.

Now using my second piece of rattan, again sanding and drying, I remembered what I learnt in the RAN in whipping rope and how I would finish that off. I applied this method at the tail and all worked well. This was my finished result:
9vH3NKO.jpg

PLCPtCj.jpg

A few loose hairs developed while wrapping the rattan but nothing that was trouble to cut off with a Gem type razor blade at the finish.

The rattan was now allowed to dry for about a day and a half before applying clear gloss enamel. It even spent about an hour in the oven set at 120°C. Here it is all trimmed, dry and ready for enamelling.
UHtkrLr.jpg

Z5L0w73.jpg

I have learnt from previous experience that the slower drying time clear enamels produce a tougher finish. I got my clear gloss enamel with a 16 hour drying time between coats from the Reject Shop. Two coats were applied using a 6mm flat artist's brush. The enamel is applied in the direction of the rattan wrap, not lengthways along the gara. Two normal coats is better than one thicker coat. Here is the finished product.
UfjLZZr.jpg

FdASnvM.jpg

Here are the details at the finish of the start and the end of the wrap.
6WiX6BH.jpg

jJQZzgu.jpg

This kamisori rattan wrapping project has been kept simple for beginners. There are may variations that you can do to get different effects.

Now for a summary of all of the above.

EQUIPMENT I USED:
Kamisori​
Insulation tape or lots of band-aids​
About 1m of 4mm wide rattan cane (on eBay)​
Small tin of clear gloss enamel paint​
Some heat-shrink tubing (colour of your choice) to suit the size of the gara​
Bic type cigarette lighter​
Stanley (box-cutter) knife​
Gem type razor blade​
6mm flat artist's brush​
Sheet of 600 grit wet & dry sandpaper​
Bottle of mineral turpentine​
Cleaning rag​
Small clean towel​
Container of cold water​
MY PROCEDURE:
  1. IMPORTANT! Tape the blade's edge with insulation tape (two layers preferred).​
  2. Using W&D, sand the gara to remove and loose particles of oxide and wipe dry.​
  3. Clean the gara with turps and allow to dry.​
  4. Apply two coats of clear gloss enamel paint to the gara steel and allow to dry.​
  5. Apply heat-shrink tubing (preferably twice) to the gara in way of where the rattan will be applied. The Bic lighter can be used to shrink the tubing.​
  6. Apply two more coats of clear gloss enamel to the heat-shrink tubing on the gara and allow to dry. The reason for all this enamel and tubing is to protect the gara steel from moisture and rusting under the rattan wrap.​
  7. Using the Stanley knife, split the 4mm wide rattan lengthways into two pieces each about 2mm wide.​
  8. Soak the rattan in cold water for about 12 hours.​
  9. Remove the rattan from the water and pull it through some folded W&D a few times to remove and loose hairs.​
  10. Pull the rattan through a folded towel to remove any excess water.​
  11. Wrap the rattan around the gara such that each wrap is up against the preceding wrap.​
  12. Use the razor blade to trim any hairs and any start/end overhangs.​
  13. Allow the wrapped rattan to dry for at least 48 hours.​
  14. Apply two more coats of clear gloss enamel the dry wrapped rattan and allow to dry.​
  15. Remove the insulation tape, clean off any residue and refresh the blade's edge.​
  16. Shave and enjoy.​
Next week I will try and post here some photos of the method I used to start and finish the rattan wrap.