Restoring Vintage (DE) Razors

Sxot

Artisan Producer
So, since I've just landed a Fat Boy, I'm after the good oil on resto. I've done quite a bit of reading on the interwebs but most if not all of it is US based and uses products we don't have access to.
I've had a bit of search here but only found one thread so I would appreciate it if those experienced in these matters could advise.

So far I have;

1. Gentle scrub with a toothbrush, using hot water containing dish-washing liquid.
2. Scrub/soak with disinfectant
3. Ultrasonic cleaner
4. Throw it into the dishwasher
5. Polish with Autosol

Questions;
Does the above sound right?
For disinfectant, which one?
Dettol
Handsoap (with disinfectant)
Domestos​
Ultrasonic Cleaner. Just water? CLR?

Thanks in advance.

No paint on this one so I am not concerned.

Last edited:
@Sxot what model is your Ultrasonic Cleaner if you don't mind me asking.

No brand. It's literally not branded.
13L 300w US and 400w heater is all I can tell you.

In typical gun-ho and hang the consequences fashion, and so I don't have to lug the U/S cleaner home (its big) I've chucked the razor in with some dish washing detergent. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Mark's link has aussie products that can be used. Be careful with the autosol as it is abrasive, and should be used sparingly if at all.

The numbers and red indicator can be repainted easily enough (vid on youtube from Captain Murphy showing how). WD40 is the only product not listed that I use to lubricate internals if stiff.

Got any pics?

No, not really. This is about as good a photo's go and yes, I've just been edumacated. It's a Slim, not a FB.

Slim.JPG

It's in the Ultrasonic cleaner now. I'll get some more tonight.

Mark's link has aussie products that can be used. Be careful with the autosol as it is abrasive, and should be used sparingly if at all.
The numbers and red indicator can be repainted easily enough (vid on youtube from Captain Murphy showing how). WD40 is the only product not listed that I use to lubricate internals if stiff.
I use Inox MX-3 rather than WD-40.
1. It's Aussie
2. It's better than WD in quality and purpose
3. It won't attract the dirt that WD-40 will.
4. I was told to get it by @Mark or another honemeister and use it interchangeably with mineral oil for the straights.

Sounds like a serious ultrasonic!

Should clean it up nicely if you are not worried about removing any paint that might be left in the numbers.

Here it is after 30min of hot US, 5min scrubbing with tooth brush and paste, then 10min with a two sided silverware polishing cloth (only means of polish I had). Could be polished better but looks great. Plating is perfect. A squirt of inox for fluid movement. I'm not sure I could be bothered for this razor but I'll look at getting the numbers painted.

Wondering: is there much difference between this and a modern adjustable such as the Progress?

4d6a156e54f1b73c605f4392919d0354.jpg
f43408c04529b5f175264cc9ed25013b.jpg
b301ff4d45928527af4b0dc29d6726b6.jpg

Yes there is a difference!

But I guess you have to try it out for yourself. And don't worry, I know you want to experience everything in the next 2 weeks - but you many many years of great shaves ahead to try out everything you are interested in...

Yes there is a difference!

But I guess you have to try it out for yourself. And don't worry, I know you want to experience everything in the next 2 weeks - but you many many years of great shaves ahead to try out everything you are interested in...

What he said!!!!!

Another observation I would add is that what you are experiencing now with a particular item will be radically different to what you experience with the same item in two years time. The difference reduces after about 3 years but something that is so so now might be great in two years and vice versa. You learn a lot - even how to use a cartridge properly as @Lifes a Peach discovered ;)

Thanks guys. No need to rush hey. Can only shave once a day! I've now got enough stuff to play with for the foreseeable future.

A good range of brushes, an adjustable, a few soap and blade samples. So now to just seeing what's what. I decided to stay with the 34c for now until I at least find a blade I plan to stick with. Then I can move onto playing with other razors. That's not to say I won't use slim from time to time.

Note I did not say I'm on a sabbatical. [emoji6]