Scale making

Finally got around to getting to the hobby shop for pins & washers so the finished product is here;

Before:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

AFTER

File%2012-07-2016%2C%2008%2019%2057.jpg

File%2012-07-2016%2C%2008%2021%2053.jpg

File%2012-07-2016%2C%2008%2022%2050.jpg

Put it across the hones last night and shaved with it today. All in all, pretty happy with how it turned out. The scales, the weight is perfect, they feel nice in the hand etc. As mentioned above, there is some texture to them which I like but some may prefer to put in the extra work to get a smooth finish. In total, the blade, scale materials etc cost me only roughly $45! The edge was very good, shave excellent. I love the width of this blade (7/8) and it's Aussie heritage. I can't help but wonder when L.Gattorna closed up shop in Broken Hill. Having been to the heritage park there, (although I doubt this blade is that old) I can imagine the shop in there in the gold rush days. At this stage, this is one of my favourite blades.

Lessons Learned:
I need smaller washers. These looked good in the shop, and do work here, but are on the big side.
I need a new ball peen hammer. Mine is old and left brown/black marks on the pins. A new one would be smoother too.
Wedge needs to have a wider angle. The blade closes just fine, but a fraction more bend in the scales would make it perfect.

@Mark1966 Thanks for digging that up. I'd say there is a very good chance you could are right! Not a barber at all, but a tobacconist selling shaving equipment as they do to this very day. My image of the old gold mining town was accurate! If you are right, this blade would be at least 108 years old since he left Broken hill in 1908. Wow... This one is going straight to the pool room!

@Mark1966 Thanks for digging that up. I'd say there is a very good chance you could are right! Not a barber at all, but a tobacconist selling shaving equipment as they do to this very day. My image of the old gold mining town was accurate! If you are right, this blade would be at least 108 years old since he left Broken hill in 1908. Wow... This one is going straight to the pool room!

Yep, that would be my bet. Tobacconist selling all sorts of 'manly' stuff including a range of [straight] razors.

Great bit of history you have resurrected there!

Don't be too hard on yourself, Grasshopper, there is much to learn and experience.
Remember, if you got it perfect the first time you wouldn't do it again and you'd miss out on the experiences in front of you.
You have done well