Shaving brush problem

David7307

I bought a shaving brush from the chemist the other day for a price of $10 pure bristle, made in Taiwan,i know what do you expect for the price , i was wanting a brush for taking while travelling, and also let my proraso omega have a rest, this is a nice small brush but it will not lather no mater what i use , do i take it back or just cut my loss

I'm guessing you bought the Windsor branded brush, possibly from Chemist Warehouse. Its a very dense brush, probably too dense around the base of the knot, which makes it very firm and also difficult to splay. Takes a while to break in. It will be fine as a travel brush, but its not the best brush for face lathering. Since its a new brush, the bristles will be dry and thirsty, hence the reason why you're probably finding it difficult to produce a decent lather. The dense knot at the base doesn't help either as it will suck in a lot of lather towards the base. Just give it a few bowl lathers before you take it away. If you lose or damage it in transit, then its no major loss.

Last edited:
A2.jpg

Does you're brush look similar to this picture above @David7307

I thought you may have purchased the brush I've pasted below and it does look very similar to the one above:
StockImage.asp

This brush is very firm and very dense at the base of the knot. I have the black handled one, which only costed me $5 from Chemist Warehouse.

The one you purchased may not be the same knot. It could be a similar knot to the cheap brushes that you'd usually find in supermarkets (ie, Davinci). Those brushes are definitely not dense and based on my experience, not worth the trouble. I decided to give the Davinci brush to my mother so she can use it as a neck brush after cutting her hair. The Windsor brush is OK as a travel brush though.

I wouldn't bother with supermarket or chemist stuff. It's about as low end as you can get. There's cheap, and there's inexpensive.

A body shop synth is a better buy for the same money, and shouldn't have any trouble drowning you in lather. I use it for travel. It's a bit firm but can't complain about the performance.

I wouldn't bother with supermarket or chemist stuff. It's about as low end as you can get. There's cheap, and there's inexpensive.

A body shop synth is a better buy for the same money, and shouldn't have any trouble drowning you in lather. I use it for travel. It's a bit firm but can't complain about the performance.
Had 2 Body Shop synths but I gave 'em away to a new shavers. Great lather producers.

THIS - don't waste your time, money and more importantly your shaves!