Review Simpson M7 Manchurian

Nightguard

Well, after using this for a week I'm happy to give my thoughts on it.

Total brush height - 112mm
Handle height - 61mm
Knot size - 25mm x 51mm
Great size all round for bowl and face lathering.

I really like this handle design, it feels great in the hand using both swirling motions and back and forth paint brush strokes. The hair is firm with soft tips giving a great, scrubby feel with no scritch. It lost three hairs with it's first lather, nothing since. The build quality is, as with most Simpson brushes, perfect. The knot is well formed, even and not overly dense but in no way floppy.

I've used this with hard and soft soaps and creams and I'm finding it pretty much perfect no matter what I throw at it. Either in the bowl or on the face. With that said, it's backbone may be too much for some softer soaps like Wickhams. With a hard soap like MWF or D.R. Harris 20 seconds of loading gave me more than enough lather for my usual three pass plus touch up. With a softer soap like Shaverheaven 15 seconds was more than enough loading.

The price is the biggest downside to this brush, at £209.95 plus postage from the Isle of Man it's far from a reasonably priced brush but with the current exchange rate, not much more than a Chubby 2 in Super badger from The Superior Shave which was my original intended purchase.

Pre bloom
IpKLSWrl.jpg

Post bloom
9aQUeMQl.jpg

Bowl Lather with Simpsons Cream
6IyTHD5l.jpg

Face lather with MWF
01cHCuAl.jpg

Size comparison with Semogue 830
g4JKfKll.jpg

Thanks for a great review, @Nightguard . It pretty much sums up everything I had imagined this brush to be. One thing I do know for sure is that this beauty is on my wish list. I'll be treating myself to one once the private school fees are out of the way (y)

So it's new? NOS or are Simpsons making butterscotch handles again?

Many thanks for the great review @Nightguard - one more on the list :ROFLMAO:

So it's new? NOS or are Simpsons making butterscotch handles again?

New. Butterscotch handles are occasionally made as limited editions.

At the risk of being a PITA pedant - Faux butterscotch, or butterscotch coloured, handles are now occasionally made as limited editions. 'Real' butterscotch arises from the impact of oxidation on the older types of rod they used in the vintage handles. It takes time to occur and can be uneven and or subject to other impacts - thus its collectability.

The M7 seems to be a renewal of the shape in my old AS2 (which I used this morning so the knot is still wet) -

Found a picture of it boxed, if not NOS then close -

Clearly the inspiration IMHO

Certainly do seem to be very similar, however, there are examples of vintage M series brushes.
Simpson-M8_zps4y7dhel0.jpg

I think that if it was sold by Simpson it was simply the 'M' series but when made for others, eg Abraham and Straus like mine, they were re-named for that company. So mine is named AS2 but the same handle.