Starter DE

Pbgoose

I've got a nephew who needs a bit of encouragement with some 'proper' gear. Already got one nephew hooked on straights (y) and this fella is interested but thought it's probably good to get him started on DE's first.

I'm looking at the Feather Popular and Wilkinson Sword safety razors. Just cheapies but heard good things about the Feather though one review said they're a bit flimsy.

Anyone tried these razors and interested in opinions about good first razors without spending a lot.

My first choice would be a Merkur 34C (Heavy Duty) or 20C. Anything with plastic is a no go zone IMO. At least a Merkur can be on sold if not going the distance.

My first choice would be a Merkur 34C (Heavy Duty) or 20C. Anything with plastic is a no go zone IMO. At least a Merkur can be on sold if not going the distance.
Yeah, I was looking at that but twice as dear. How mild is the 34C? I won't rule out as option. For that matter Edwin Jagger DE89?
I had heard the Feather was a cheap way to get into the sport?

I've got a Mondial Boar Brush if you want it for the lad
Thanks 58FB! That's a generous offer. I'm actually set for a brush for this job (Badger). If I didn't have this brush, boar is where I'd be looking.

I have to second the suggestion that a Merkur 34c or EJ DE89 are possibly the best razors to be starting out with. Both are easy to learn with and forgiving. They also both provide a great shave and could easily be a daily driver.

The Razorock MJ90 is also a great option but a little more expensive (make sure you get both plates though).

@Pbgoose may I suggest a Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome will be a great option for starters into wet shaving.

maxresdefault.jpg

I would suggest something cheap and mild like a Gillette new type rather than dropping 100+ on something new fangled. That way they can feel some of the heritage too which is a selling point for me. Even better if it comes with a case and old blades.

I've taken up @Rabid Badger 's generous PIF of Wilkinson Sword safety razor. I'll send that plus a badger brush and a tub of soap to my nephew. That will be a good start. If he takes to that I might follow up with an EJ89 or Merkur 34C at a later date.
I thought about vintage razors but not everyone appreciates vintage and a newby youngster may actually see it as a manky old razor and as a disincentive to get into wet shaving.
Thanks for everyone's input.:)