Stopping on a whim...

Arnold J Rimmer

2017 Sabbatical Fail
Artisan Producer
I was at a loose end today, so I took a drive from Jindabyne to Cooma - sorry @Pbgoose, I beat you there! I was actually going to Aldi, but I saw an antique shop as I was coming in from the Jindabyne side, so I pulled in to have a look.

Greeted the guy behind the counter, and asked him if he had any serviceable straights. He pointed me to where I needed to go.

I grabbed a Korten 400 out of the window display, which had the princely asking price of $26 on it. Sold! It was owned and used by the now-retired local barber until the laws changed, so it has a pretty good edge on it, just not quite enough for a super fine shave. That will change soon enough. I reckon it would be 5/8" at a glance. Very similar to the Puma #21. It does have some deep scratching on the backside of the scales, like someone was trying to engrave their name or something.

Then he started pulling out all of these old blades, one by one, from under counter. Most of them were either way out of square, or too well ground as to be unsalvageable. But in the mix was a Maschco 2080. It has certainly seen better days, and there is some pitting on the edge, but I there is easily enough meat to play with. I think these are around 3/4"... definitely very tall. The only real concern is that one side of the scales is broken right through. I would like to try to restore/repair the scales if possible, so any tips will be accepted gratefully. Price $9, running total $35.

Finally, he pulled out this little gadget that I had seen before, but could never get my hands on. Apparently it is a travel straight! Not sure why, because straights are generally compact things anyway. Folded though, this thing is smaller than the length of a straight's blade section, but it takes a DE blade, as shown. Cost, $5, for a total of $40 out the door.

A fortuitous day's shopping.

Korten 400
Qho4cuP.jpg

qgIVgo0.jpg

Maschco 2080
qjGckSE.jpg

56e809P.jpg

vCeBq48.jpg

Travel Straight
9r8ixEQ.jpg

TqKGHRA.jpg

b57zCAN.jpg

Ha, I just thought I'd go for a cruise tomorrow down a road less travelled to Victoria, keeping an eye out for antique shops and razor bargains, thinking I'd be safe from the likes of Sydney siders and those Mid North coasters, but no.... I'll have to wait til I get to Gippsland now to find an antique shop unravaged.;)
Nice hunting @Arnold J Rimmer !(y)

If you head out via Renmark SA, the antique shop there has a whole tub of them! Bit overpriced though. I paid $50 for the 'Broken Hill' Bengall, but she had $80 on it to start.

I didn't think to look for DE's today though. Normal people don't use them.

Last edited:
Good shopping indeed.That scale,you could glue it really neatly if you could live with that.For rescale you could get the inlay out of the broken one and have it put in the new one.Maybe look for a similar set of scales on an old bad blade?

It looks like someone may have tried re-gluing this one, but was impatient. I might give that a go first. I can certainly live with it, if it holds.

Finding a matching set of scales would be a job. I'd end up out the back of Dubbo, or further out!