Tactile Turn Double Edge

todras

est Français pour après-rasage
In Memoriam
2019 Charity Auction Winner
Menth Dealer
Another kickstarter, this time with magnets and marine stainless.... I'm thinking @RustyBlade will be all over this :D

tau5Xxp.gif

IuGaRN2.jpg

Wouldn't any SS razor also work with said magnets?
You can buy a strong rare-earth magnet from eBay for under $1.
I might skip this one. :LOL:

Its sitting at 16K out of 50K for it to get up, but you never know it just might. Most of these things I post because they are interesting more than anything and can form the focus for discussion points on P&C, personally I am a big pass, especially with the smooth handle and the magnets.

especially with the smooth handle
That bugs me too. Looking at the kickstarter page, there is some 'texture' but I suspect once wet it won't be enough. Covered in soap I expect accidents to happen.

Edit: I just noticed in the gif when he places the razor back on the magnet, the head is making contact (or close to it) with the reflective surface. I'd have thought some engineering would have been done to prevent that, even if it was just a bigger magnet.

That bugs me too. Looking at the kickstarter page, there is some 'texture' but I suspect once wet it won't be enough. Covered in soap I expect accidents to happen.

Edit: I just noticed in the gif when he places the razor back on the magnet, the head is making contact (or close to it) with the reflective surface. I'd have thought some engineering would have been done to prevent that, even if it was just a bigger magnet.

I think the GIf is just a concept pitch, it's the whole cool factor of the innovation which some people will really go for if they go ahead.

My first thoughts would be you would want to be careful with a magnet of that strength on the bathroom mirror early morning and I would need to know how the magnet is held in place - if it's with another magnet that necessitates taking the mirror off the wall to seat it, then that's kind of a big ask really for one razor. Your point about the base-plate and cap hitting the mirror glass is a good one, they need to engineer that out and make the magnet sit a little prouder of the surface to which its mounted.

The smooth handle I can't stand - I ditched my Wolfman Guerilla handle for the same reason the minute I got it, I was just not comfortable with the soapy hands/smooth handle and the potential to open my face up if I was less than attentive. I know a lot of people like the WMG handle and there have been no incidents I have heard of, but I did a couple of tests with the handle and some shave soap and it was just too dodgy for me.

Wouldn't any SS razor also work with said magnets?
You can buy a strong rare-earth magnet from eBay for under $1.
I might skip this one. :LOL:

No, actually. Stainless steel is non-ferris (magnetic). A low iron content (magnetic) and a high chromium content (not magnetic along with the other ingredients) is what makes it "stainless". "Marine" grade is likely to be GR316 which is defiantly not magnetic. Naturally you can get "ferritic stainless" which has a higher iron content.

"This razor has a magnet in the handle"

So they have put a magnet inside the handle to make it stick. That you can do with any stainless steel razor if it has a hollow handle.

No, actually. Stainless steel is non-ferris (magnetic). A low iron content (magnetic) and a high chromium content (not magnetic along with the other ingredients) is what makes it "stainless". "Marine" grade is likely to be GR316 which is defiantly not magnetic. Naturally you can get "ferritic stainless" which has a higher iron content.

So they have put a magnet inside the handle to make it stick. That you can do with any stainless steel razor if it has a hollow handle.
After reading this I thought "That can't be right. But what do I know?".
So, I grabbed one of my sub-$1 magnets and threw them at some of my razors.
  • Gillette Tech: the head is very magnetic.
  • Ikon bulldog handle: the magnet would stick. But only very weakly.
  • SS General: Odd. It attracts differently depending on the location. But overall I would call it weak but evident.
  • Supply V2: This one was VERY magnetic. No question.
So, some googling gave me this the following.
Suffice it to say, you are MOSTLY right. But it depends on so many factors and while it is often low, it is never zero (or 1.0 in this case).
As you can tell, I'm a massive nerd. I'm not happy not knowing things. It's a mixed blessing...
Anyway. Thank you for the opportunity to learn something new. :)

From the Google:
Is stainless steel non-magnetic?
It is commonly stated that “stainless steel is non-magnetic”. This is not strictly true and the real situation is rather more complicated. The degree of magnetic response or magnetic permeability is derived from the microstructure of the steel. A totally non-magnetic material has a relative magnetic permeability of 1. Austenitic structures are totally non-magnetic and so a 100% austenitic stainless steel would have a permeability of 1. In practice this is not achieved. There is always a small amount of ferrite and/or martensite in the steel and so permeability values are always above 1. Typical values for standard austenitic stainless steels can be in the order of 1.05 – 1.1. See Composition effects on the magnetic permeability of austenitic stainless steels

It is possible for the magnetic permeability of austenitic steels to be changed during processing. For example, cold work and welding are liable to increase the amount of martensite and ferrite respectively in the steel. A familiar example is in a stainless steel sink where the flat drainer has little magnetic response whereas the pressed bowl has a higher response due to the formation of martensite particularly in the corners.

In practical terms, austenitic stainless steels are used for “non-magnetic” applications, for example magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). In these cases, it is often necessary to agree a maximum magnetic permeability between customer and supplier. It can be as low as 1.004.

@lerenau I studied many things at uni and one of them was materials engineering.
There are dozens and dozens of stainless steel grade/types for various applications. Many materials can or be made magnetic by changing its properties including brass etc.

Basically forget everything, get a magnet and test it. Like engineers do in the field as part of there identification process. If it works it work.

@todras don't like the design as the handle is just plain boring for me. Also I red flag products with gimmicky designs as that appears to be their focus and not the true function of the product.

*Edit my Geurilla is not magnetic at all. Whereas my Paradigm 17-4 is very magnetic (martensitic).

Also I red flag products with gimmicky designs as that appears to be their focus and not the true function of the product.

Yeah man, this is it for me absolutely. If the pitch of a product (in that price range) is a gimmick then I'm almost reflexively out.