That one piece!

TheKing

Hey guys,
What is your one piece of kit; The one you never realised would become your favorite?
I accidentally bought a bowl of LEA original soap recently. (miss click)
It is fantastic.
Smells great, the sandalwood isn't over powering and my partner loves it.
I have had it 4 days, used it 3 times (I am not a daily shaver either)
My new favorite kit.
Any others with a similar story?

I'm a bit of an inconsistent shaver but if we are talking soaps, apart from my own soap formulation I really like Menthol mist by Godrej and at $3 a tube it is so good and so economical. I also like my straight razors, my SE razors, my Schick injectors and do not like my DE's. I like my Scuttles. Sorry I didn't really answer your question. :)

There is no one. I'm still new at this but I'm like Scrooge McDuck diving into his vault - I have heaps of kit, I love it all and never know what to play with each day!!

scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg

I should clarify - I'm like Scrooge in that I sit on my pile of shaving gear, throwing it in the air gleefully. NOT that I have a pile of money.... (see first half of sentence).

I've been at wet shaving for a month on Tuesday. Plenty of nice shave combinations! I honestly couldn't pick just one.

My Joseph Allen & Sons Non XLL 5/8 quarter hollow.

In search of a big old sheffield I bought it not realising how small it was (5/8) the pictures made it look like a bigger blade.

Had a job cleaning it up, took three goes to pin the scales back on straight. Nearly gave up and passed it on in bits. Finally got it worked out and sent it to Mark purely because I'd spent so much time on it I wasn't stopping now.

But it's my desert island razor for sure. It takes an awesome edge, it's easy to use and quietly efficient. It's so smooth to use I always know it'll be great before I start. I really like how quiet quarter hollows are.

They're not rare or expensive but I'd happily buy another or have a 7 day set of them.

Does that include a straight razor !!!!

It does yes. Or more accurately WILL when Aus Post pull their finger out and deliver it!!! Hopefully Monday, but more likely Tuesday.

You don't throw your straight razors and strops in the air with glee?

Interesting question @TheKing.

In the vintage DEs I've collected there have certainly been a few times when I've taken a punt on an auction and it has been FAR better than I hoped or dreamed for. Those are the ones you remember (the ones you luck out on you try to forget!)

Vintage NOS blades have also been a bit of a revelation too - they really ARE that much better

The one set (I can't just have a peice) that I suppose I'm most pleased with is this one - Updated 18th bithday present for my son

The one product that has most exceeded my expectations is probably the Myrsol range - great stuff at a very reasonable price.

There is no one. I'm still new at this but I'm like Scrooge McDuck diving into his vault - I have heaps of kit, I love it all and never know what to play with each day!!

scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg

Just don't dive into your pile of razors... That could be bad.

For me it is my original straight. I am restoring another vintage at the moment, but I'm reluctant to try it over my Wester Brothers blade.