The Blobbie

Yep, that's it basically. Just looked at the Semoque specs and if it's like Minorcis you're looking at either fitting a 20 or 22mm knot with the metal cup taken out, or an 18mm knot with the cup still in place. Depends on what loft you're after. They're nice handles. Worth keeping if possible.

Last edited:
Yeah it's the same brush.

How does loft affect the brush?

All depends on the density - the more stuffed, the higher the loft can go and still be quite firm (for badger). Less dense and higher loft (50mm+) the more likely it'll tend towards moppy.

Minorci is the only one with a TGN Silvertip so he's best placed to offer an opinion on it's properties, given the specs he's ended up with.

Why does everyone want to carve up their 830? It's not the best brush for hard soaps but I don't know if it ever was supposed to be. It's pretty solid on soft soap and creams and feels luxurious on the face.

You blokes are either curmudgeonly or I'm a nancy boy!

I don't necessarily want to carve up mine. I just like the badger and I love the handle of the 830. I doubt I will get another brush in it. I will most likely just get another, cheaper brush and re-stuff that.

Cheers Drubbing for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jug send it to me and I do good job. I learnt on mine. I would use the same knot but recessed a further 5mm down.

If it's anything like the 1460 and looking at the specs and the brush itself they appear identical (22mm/55mm with the same design using a metal cup), it'll have too much loft for the size of the knot which I discovered was at most 16mm at the base. The 1460 was floppy and didn't have a backbone to speak of. Like trying to paint a wall with a feather duster. A well designed brush particularly a boar should be able to make lather out of any soap.

Based on my (admittedly) limited experience with cheaper Semoques, I wouldn't touch them. Nice handles though. Which is what people buy them for.

I think the only real differences are the hair grade and knot angle. The 1305 is the same spec as the 830, but noticeably less soft through the knot. Vintage Scent also say the 830 has 10% more hair. If true, I think it shows the hair is probably too soft when angled out.

I reckon it's because Semogue aim to make a nice, soft 'luxury' boar, that some of them become too soft. It's early days with the 2 Omegas, but I'm finding they've both currently got a lot more grunt.

I agree about the handles, Omegas never seemed as nice. Having a wooden one here, it's clearly not as well finished as Semogue's. In their cheaper ones, I think the variants of the 620, of which there are a couple, are decent; a scrubby grade in a 50mm knot isn't going to flop out.

As for Jugs 830, if you ditch the cup, as Minorci did, you get more knot options.

Last edited:
Yeah true, the 1305 is great for what it is, but it's small brush as it isn't fanned out. For a small boar that is also soft, it's great.
I had to think about getting a 1305 or a 830, glad I bought the 1305 for a small boar, and a SOC for a larger boar, rather than try to just buy one and get a 830.

I doubt I would ever take what is still a decent and very serviceable brush (although noodly) in the 830 and rip it apart for a badger knot.

I'd prefer to get a few old handles from eBay and then send it to Minorci. I am also tempted to get a few brushed from the US routed via Rudy Vey for a couple of restuffs.

The 1460 to date has been the only new/recently made brush I've restored and I'd have to agree with the sentiment but on the other hand if it's just plainly not doing what you expected then why not. Particularly if it's a decent handle.

By the way I caved in and bought this old clunker on the bay. The metal cup construction has got me intrigued. Again it'll be all about trying to save the cup as the handle will look screwed without it. Old fashioned glues, so should be a bit easier than drubs 1460. Also some repair on the handle. Not sure if that's just a discolouration or damage. Like the shape and size.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Last edited:
As this has turned in to the de-facto restoring thread.....I think the TGN best is actually a very nice knot. I used it in drubbings Blobbie and in my Blobbie too. Although initially it was pretty rough, the scritchiness has all but disappeared. During lathering, which takes all of 5 sec with this one, it has a bit of bite to start with but that is virtually gone the moment the lather starts fluffing up. It is a very "light" knot in that it could do with a bit more density but I'm very happy with it.

As this has turned in to the de-facto restoring thread.....

Feel free to start a dedicated one in the brush forum, I think there's some interest. I'll link it from here once you've posted it, if you don't know how to do that.

A reminder of my IT abilities from my review of Bluebeards Revenge:

"Drubbing Note: Pjotr is having a techophobe moment. Here is his BB review. Thanks Pjotr, and good to see that IT course paid off"