The Gem SE adventure

thanks pj. When you are on the 6-7th shave, are you getting to the point of risking your skin?

I go by the tug status - if the blade fels like it is tuging at the whiskers rather than mowing them then its time to change - in all honesty I could probably get another 3 or 4 shaves if I chose to, but blades are cheap and I like the smooth mowing feeling.

thanks pj. When you are on the 6-7th shave, are you getting to the point of risking your skin?
It depends on how many passes and touch ups you do, how good the lather is, if you are shaving everyday, and the razor.

If I do great lather, don't do heaps of touch ups and shave every day, I can get 3-4 shaves easy out of a Micromatic Clog Pruf or my Latcher Catcher-patented 1900 design, (which are my favourite SE razors), after 4 shaves, after that the blade is no good. It would be no good after 3 shaves if I did bad prep as tougher stubble wears the blade out faster. Also I might have done 3 full passes, 1 half pass on the trouble spots, and then touch ups, that would only get 3 shaves out a blade too with the MM CP or LC.

But I can put that used blade in my british made ever ready 1912 and get another 2 shaves from it. It won't tug like my favourite razors will using older blades, but it won't shave as close either. But it still does a decent shave with no cuts, irritation or tugging for another 2 shaves after the initial 3-4 shaves with the other razors.

cool bananas, 3 shaves will be enough for me. I think with the SE I may be abusing the blade when I keep working at it, because it allows me to.