thisISjoel's straight shaving diary

I want to know this too. I would like to know what I'm going to get myself into later this year... (Hopefully) [emoji2]

:) Silly question.

@khun_diddy and @stillshunter will try to steer you along the Japanese and Belgian road. Myself I have a competent collection of synthetics and naturals that will take you from a damaged blade to the finish. But I digress. A synthetic in the 10 to 12k range for about 5 passes once a week will keep your blade in pristine condition if it doesn't get chipped. Maybe once a fortnight if you strop well.

If you can find someone in your area that has some hones they will be ale to show you and advise you on the minimum you need.

:) Silly question.

@khun_diddy and @stillshunter will try to steer you along the Japanese and Belgian road. Myself I have a competent collection of synthetics and naturals that will take you from a damaged blade to the finish. But I digress. A synthetic in the 10 to 12k range for about 5 passes once a week will keep your blade in pristine condition if it doesn't get chipped. Maybe once a fortnight if you strop well.

If you can find someone in your area that has some hones they will be ale to show you and advise you on the minimum you need.

Mad! Could you suggest a decent synthetic stone that would be a good starting point?

Shave 17.

This was the most growth I'd ever shaved with the straight, having been away for a few days I had four days growth.

Face lathered arlington with the whipped dog, lovely smelling cream, but I always seem to struggle to get a slick enough lather from it.

Felt a bit tuggy at times, but I'm mainly putting that down to the lather not providing enough glide.

I think the time off hurt my technique a bit too. I cut myself below the nose and I think I was applying a bit too much pressure at certain points too. Only went for two passes, with a little clean up.

A decent shave, but not the best. Finished up with macca root moisturiser.

Shave 18.

This one actually turned out ok, but felt pretty scrapey to get there. Went with shaver heaven for the soap, looked like nice lather on the face, glistening and yogurty, but kinda lacked slickness. I don't know, maybe the edge needs some touching up, but it felt pretty rough at times. Some of it is obviously still technique, but I'm not sure what the ratio is.

Went for a couple of passes, one with and one against the grain and a little clean up. Not too much irritation and the only blood was from a pimple I didn't realise I had, oops.

Little splash of imperial leather to finish. Overall decent shave.

Shave 19.

Pretty good, went for pretty much three full passes and got nice bbs on my cheeks and moustache area.

Little cut under the nose (AGAIN!) and can't get bbs on the chin/neck, but technique is improving.

Used body shop macca root shaving cream (I don't know why I don't go to this cream more often), imperial leather splash and macca root moisturiser.

Good shave.

Hmm, I mighta done goofed up here. I wanted a quick shave today so I reached for my trusty parker 97r with a fresh vosky in it for the first time since I started this journey. Lathered up fauldings with my crappiest brush and went to town.

It was quick, it was smooth, it was close, it was pretty much irritation free, there was essentially no burn from the imperial leather after shave.

I dunno boys, it was a very good shave.

Hmm, I mighta done goofed up here. I wanted a quick shave today so I reached for my trusty parker 97r with a fresh vosky in it for the first time since I started this journey. Lathered up fauldings with my crappiest brush and went to town.

It was quick, it was smooth, it was close, it was pretty much irritation free, there was essentially no burn from the imperial leather after shave.

You're shaving technique will have improved through using the naked blade. I'd say get your straight's edge touched up and revisit it.

Yeah and it gets better the more blades you use. Wait until you try the new vibrating Gillette 5 blade.

20 shaves in is not the zone for great straight shaves. A little further to walk to reach the crest of the first hill.....and then the view, oh my the view...!!!!!
Seriously, nothing is as infinitely adjustable as a straight....and that's just angling the shave. Once you learn to hone, then you're possibilities to customise really open up.

Many people indicate months of continuous straight shaving to seriously master the shave. That doesn't mean you aren't going to get a good shave earlier but this is actually a definite skill, not a big mac shave. One day you will have a straight shave and it will dawn on you that you basically shaved without thinking, not careless but automatic muscle memory and a pleasant glow but not from razor burn.

Straight shaving is a little like Mount Everest.

Some people feel the need to climb and explore the view (oh my the view :) )

Other are happy to sit and home with our feet up by the fire with our DEs and watch the TV documentaries about it.

That about right @stillshunter ?

Other are happy to sit and home with our feet up by the fire with our DEs and watch the TV documentaries about it.

That about right @stillshunter ?

LOL, sure @Mark1966 . There are players and spectators in life mate.

LOL, sure @Mark1966 . There are players and spectators in life mate.
I know what else is the same as straight shavers and those who climb Mt Everest...

...both are liable to lose body parts!
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]