Review Thoughts on the Blackland Sabre

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
IMG-20220221-124354.jpg

The Blackland Sabre seems to have slipped under the radar of @Errol's reviews: there are write-ups on the Blackbird and the Vector in all three finishes, and just one on the Dart. So here are my impressions, for what they're worth. I'll try to follow @Errol's format as best I can.

Currently out of stock at Blackland Razors and Maggard's, I got mine (in good time) from West Coast Shaving. I don't care about packaging, but some do, so the razor came presented in a typical cardboard box with high-density foam and cut-outs to fit the razor. Also included were 3 Personna GEM stainless blades. I opted for the L2 baseplate.

I was attracted at the outset by the no-nonsense but still sleek and elegant design. The finish is very much a machine-finish, partly because that suits my pocket, and partly because I'm averse to bling. The surfaces show plenty of tool-marks, which as far as I'm concerned is just fine. Shane mentions this somewhere as reflecting how the razor came into being. This isn't really a criticism, but I found the surface texture just a little overly gritty, so as I mentioned elsewhere, I spent just a few minutes giving the exposed surfaces a rub-down with 2400-grit W&D just for my own comfort, without any effort to hide those tool-marks. For those who might raise an objection that the razor should be perfect from the get-go, I could mention that a brand-new straight razor usually requires much more exacting work before it's shave-ready. The threaded post is milled to accommodate the corresponding slot in the blade, and there is plenty (7mm) of thread protruding beyond the bottom of the baseplate.

On to the shave. With the blade installed, there is a lot of blade reveal beyond the edge of the cap, which to some might look a little intimidating, but as I expected, the Blackland engineering can't be faulted. As most here will know, I've been using the Vector exclusively for the last few months, and my immediate impression was that the Sabre is perhaps just a little less aggressive than the Vector, but still efficient. There was never a moment when I felt that the Sabre might bite. The vents below the blade work so well, it's almost impossible to clog. Since I shave both head and face daily, that's a big plus. (y) Some have mentioned that the Sabre does not give the audible feedback common with vintage GEM razors, and that's true. But I consider that kind of noise to be a symptom of inadequate blade clamping, so I'm good with that, especially given the old-timers' reputation for being carnivorous. An easy, smooth and effective shave with no irritation or blood. Can't ask for more than that. (y)

Blades used – Personna GEM stainless PTFE
Material – 303 Stainless steel
Blade Tab - N/A
Weight – 111g
Head Width – 40mm
Handle Length – 85mm
Handle Diameter – 12mm
Availability – Yes
Final Word – Bloody good (y)

Well said. How does it shave in the tight areas; under nose, jaw corners. The head is slim but it’s pretty flat.
It works for me, somewhat better than any DE. My spot where I have to concentrate just a little is right behind the ears, and it manages that easily and without injury. The Sabre is not as nimble as the Vector, but it's probably safe to say that no razor of any kind is.

I am glad you like your new razor. I found it underwhelming mainly because of all the hype by some users on other forums. I bought it thinking that it will be efficient and just as smooth as the Oneblade (which a lot of shavers claimed). For me it wasn’t even close and that’s mainly due to the Gem blades; the Gem blades are nowhere near as sharp as the Feather blades although they do last longer.