Time for another.

alfonzo

Posted over at OCAU but thought I'd get the Vision Collision 4.0 opinion as well. ;) :laugh:

My Shavemac 177's starting to get on a year of solid use, I want a boar to bring into the mix and to give it a bit of a rest on rotation.

What's a good quality boar and where should I buy? I see MensBiz has a Vulfix #406 for $32.95, anything that will directly compete with that?

Not so concerned over price, but the less postage the better obviously :D

You can try this English mob. They have excellent postal charges. Vulfix Shaving Brushes They say they're all pure bristle so I'm assuming it's boar but Vulfix themselves don't seem to make boar brushes anymore or at least don't sell them through their own website so I'm not sure about that.

Omegas are good and have a cheap range you could try just in case you end up hating boar. Of course there's Semoque at Vintagescent for a more expensive range with nice handles. Drubbing might pipe in here but after converting all and sundry to the church of the pig religion he's gone over to the dark side. Just confirms that you can't trust a brush addict.

Never tried the vulfix brushes, but local and OS prices will see them landed as poor value for money.

Omega and Semogue are safe bets, available more cheaply, and you can get feedback about them from various forums. You can get most of those for about $30 delivered.

Or you can have my Semogue 830 for $20 posted. It's well broken in and too soft in the backbone for me. When I want soft, I go badger. It was going to be a pif for a newb user, but there aren't any.

You can try this English mob. They have excellent postal charges. Vulfix Shaving Brushes They say they're all pure bristle so I'm assuming it's boar but Vulfix themselves don't seem to make boar brushes anymore or at least don't sell them through their own website so I'm not sure about that.

Omegas are good and have a cheap range you could try just in case you end up hating boar. Of course there's Semoque at Vintagescent for a more expensive range with nice handles. Drubbing might pipe in here but after converting all and sundry to the church of the pig religion he's gone over to the dark side. Just confirms that you can't trust a brush addict.
Know what's funny, I just bought a bunch of blades off Connaught Shaving through their ebay site. Might give them a shot.

Cheers for the offer Drubbing, though I'd like to get one brand new and go through the process of breaking it in myself, to get the proper experience.

The only Vulfix that seems to get any good press in reasonable quantity is the Vulfix 404 badger / boar mixed hair brush. I can attest to it being excellent as an all rounder but it is a hybrid.

Perhaps the most reveered boar brush of recent time is the Semogue 1305. which offers firmness for soap use and yet once broken in is impressively soft on the face. available form I.E. shaving or Vintage scent for around $22.00 shipped.

Both the 48 and 49 Profesional model Omega's are well thought of though they are pretty massive with their 60mm lofts. ( the term professional in no way means they're better than other Omegas.

I think the truly excellent wood handle Omega 11126 (about $17.00 including shipping from Connaught) with it's 55mm loft, 24mm knot and top grade boar bristle is perhaps a better Omega starting point brush to determine if you would like more firmness or softness in a boar.

Attachments

• Omega 11126.jpg
    Omega 11126.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1