To rescale or not to rescale

Pbgoose

619FD3CA-12C6-4F3F-8D1B-B3DE04112F88_zpstfx9g996.jpg

I bought this razor on ebay last year with the idea of it being a reno project as in the ebay photos I thought the scales looked pretty ordinary. When I received it, at face value it looked better than expected and the scales are in pretty good condition so it's sat in my drawer for 9 months.
I pulled it out today to hone it and under the microscope discovered some corrosion on the bevel which was worse than I had anticipated. Forums talk about whether it's necessary to use a microscope or not but I wouldn't be able to see this damage unless I used the scope.
Pre%20Honing%201_zpsodfz0uu9.png

I didn't put it on my coarsest stone as I like to preserve metal if I can, so I started on the 3K and went from there.
CBN%20Finish_zpsv02yn9k4.png

So, still some damage but should be drivable now. I'll give it a run tomorrow.
One reason I bought the razor was it's patterned spine.
Spine_zpsav2otimj.png

So....I'm thinking I'll just put it in the rotation. Or do you think I should rescale it?

Last edited:
My vote would be leave the scales until they fall off. Then replace them.

However, if I were using a microscope as you are, I would have started with the 1k, and set a lovely clean edge. You would only need to do it the one time.

In saying that, the proof is in the pudding. Let us know how she drives! That little imperfection looks too small to catch a hair, so you should be ok to go.

My vote would be leave the scales until they fall off. Then replace them.

However, if I were using a microscope as you are, I would have started with the 1k, and set a lovely clean edge. You would only need to do it the one time.

In saying that, the proof is in the pudding. Let us know how she drives! That little imperfection looks too small to catch a hair, so you should be ok to go.
Yep, I think you're right. In retrospect I think that damage warranted a more aggressive bevel reset.
I did actually get some irritation of the first shave after honing. I don't normally strop after honing as I use CBN to finish so normally I get a smooth shave. @bald as will say 'I told you so'.:)
I'll give it a hundred laps on the strop and try it again and if it doesn't shave well I'll put it back on the stones.

Take it back to the 1k and work your way back up. It must have a good clean correctly set bevel. You need to remove "all" of the decay, stropping won't cut it. As much as I'm not a fan of tape, use it in this case though to preserve the spine:)

Steve