Wattle Timber Scales - An Interesting Occurrence

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
About a week or so ago I re-scaled a "Bengall" SR in wattle timber. This was my second only re-scale in wattle. My first re-scale in wattle was a GD66 that is out on loan to @CTP. The scales on that GD66 were treated inside and out with CA. My "Bengall" wattle re-scale was treated only with beeswax inside and out. The "Bengall" in wattle sat for a few days before being opened up for its first shave test. This is what I found on the blade both sides:

3D4FLLz.jpg

The blade in way of the scales was coated in what looked like a fine mist. It wasn't liquid but had a waxy feel to it. This had me intrigued. It wouldn't rub off with my finger or dry toilet paper. It did start to come off with toilet paper moistened with water but with some difficulty. It was obviously being caused by something on the inner surface of the wattle scales. My thoughts were that it could be from the wattle oil in the timber or a reaction between the beeswax and the wattle oil.

Having some untreated wattle scale blanks, after the test shave I cleaned the blade and sandwiched it between two pieces of untreated wattle timber. I checked the blade a few days later and found the same result. It obviously wasn't a reaction between the beeswax and the wattle oil.

Today I consulted with Bill, and old friend of mine. Bill was the foreman at Tolga Timbers for many years, before they were bought out by Payless Timber. In its day, Tolga Timbers was known for its vast knowledge in local and exotic Australian timbers. I took the untreated wattle blanks and the "misted" Bengall with me to show Bill.

Bill immediately recognized what was going on. He told me that the oils in the wattle timber are gassing off and forming a fine wattle-oil wax coating on the steel blade. This wax is not detrimental to the steel. Indeed, they use to run some wattle through the mill saw after each period of use to protect the teeth of the steel saw blade from oxidation (this was before they had carbide teeth). He said, if needed, the wax can be easily removed by wiping it off with acetone.

Once home, I easily wiped of the wax as suggested by Bill. I now have no concerns about these wattle timber scales waxing the surface of the steel blade. It only offers more protection against oxidation and the aesthetics while closed does not bother me.

I am waiting to hear from @CTP on the looks of the wattle scaled loan GD66 when he receives it. The GD66 razor's scales were treated with CA. I am interested to learn if the CA sealing prevents the wattle-oil wax from developing on the blade.

Overall, a very interesting lesson learned.

interesting thanks for the heads up. I'm going to stain then seal mine with a coat of satin clear to make them pop, I reckon the clear will (should) prevent oils from leaking

About a week or so ago I re-scaled a "Bengall" SR in wattle timber. This was my second only re-scale in wattle. My first re-scale in wattle was a GD66 that is out on loan to @CTP. The scales on that GD66 were treated inside and out with CA. My "Bengall" wattle re-scale was treated only with beeswax inside and out. The "Bengall" in wattle sat for a few days before being opened up for its first shave test. This is what I found on the blade both sides:

3D4FLLz.jpg

The blade in way of the scales was coated in what looked like a fine mist. It wasn't liquid but had a waxy feel to it. This had me intrigued. It wouldn't rub off with my finger or dry toilet paper. It did start to come off with toilet paper moistened with water but with some difficulty. It was obviously being caused by something on the inner surface of the wattle scales. My thoughts were that it could be from the wattle oil in the timber or a reaction between the beeswax and the wattle oil.

Having some untreated wattle scale blanks, after the test shave I cleaned the blade and sandwiched it between two pieces of untreated wattle timber. I checked the blade a few days later and found the same result. It obviously wasn't a reaction between the beeswax and the wattle oil.

Today I consulted with Bill, and old friend of mine. Bill was the foreman at Tolga Timbers for many years, before they were bought out by Payless Timber. In its day, Tolga Timbers was known for its vast knowledge in local and exotic Australian timbers. I took the untreated wattle blanks and the "misted" Bengall with me to show Bill.

Bill immediately recognized what was going on. He told me that the oils in the wattle timber are gassing off and forming a fine wattle-oil wax coating on the steel blade. This wax is not detrimental to the steel. Indeed, they use to run some wattle through the mill saw after each period of use to protect the teeth of the steel saw blade from oxidation (this was before they had carbide teeth). He said, if needed, the wax can be easily removed by wiping it off with acetone.

Once home, I easily wiped of the wax as suggested by Bill. I now have no concerns about these wattle timber scales waxing the surface of the steel blade. It only offers more protection against oxidation and the aesthetics while closed does not bother me.

I am waiting to hear from @CTP on the looks of the wattle scaled loan GD66 when he receives it. The GD66 razor's scales were treated with CA. I am interested to learn if the CA sealing prevents the wattle-oil wax from developing on the blade.

Overall, a very interesting lesson learned.
A few of my blades looked similar when wiping down with baby oil before storing. The Camelia oil is not as bad.
I find a wipe down with tissue paper, and leave the rest to the lather and strop is sufficient although have used isospryl alcohol when too sticky

Still a very nice looking razor and if you are not happy with it I know someone willing to take it off your hands ;)

@CTP reported to me last week that there was no sign of wattle wax on the loan-out wattle scales SR that he received. It may be that the scales were treated all over with CA or that the SR was wrapped in tissue paper during shipping.

After receiving @CTP's report, I took out my wattle scaled Bengall. It had misted up as before. I then cleaned the blade, wrapped it in tissue paper and put it way for another 5 days. I took it out this morning. There was misting but noticeably much less.

I have now cleaned the wax off again and put the SR away unwrapped for a few more days to see what happens.

I think the tissue paper has acted as a moisture absorber. The SR you posted was wrapped up for probably 2 weeks before I was in a posistion to open it. Interestingly though you could cleary smell the finish off n the scales - very oilily (in a good way).

Wrapping the SR in tissue paper did not change the "misting" effect. I am finding though that the "misting" effect is reducing over time. I dare say that after a month or two it may be gone.

I have also re-scaled a no-brand Solingen SR in wattle. These scales were treated with three thin coats of CA on their inner surfaces before assembly. So far no "misting" has occurred with this SR.