What if ???

Most, if not all of us own several razors (DE's, SE's Straights) along with multiple soaps/creams, brushes and blades. Whoever said that wet shaving will save you money is a f*cking liar! I currently own multiple (embarrased to say how many) razors, brushes and enough different soaps to last for years in my den. My poor wife is going to have to get rid of all this stuff when I am gone!

What if.....you could only have one razor (DE, SE or straight), one brush, one brand of blade and one soap/cream, what would it be?

Here is mine:
Razor: Nicola Mastropietro Straight Razor (Italy)
Brush: 26mm Boar (well broken -in)
Soap: Cella (best soap I've ever used for SR shaving)

Most, if not all of us own several razors (DE's, SE's Straights) along with multiple soaps/creams, brushes and blades. Whoever said that wet shaving will save you money is a f*cking liar! I currently own multiple (embarrased to say how many) razors, brushes and enough different soaps to last for years in my den. My poor wife is going to have to get rid of all this stuff when I am gone!

What if.....you could only have one razor (DE, SE or straight), one brush, one brand of blade and one soap/cream, what would it be?

Here is mine:
@Phil Harmonica, mate more than happy for you to give your wife MY address!! :unsure: :LOL::LOL:

I have two setups with which I'd be equally happy:

Razor: Atelier Durdan Vestige
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Soap: Yardley (any flavour)
Brush: TroyCraft with AP G5C 28mm knot

... Or
Razor: Wolfman WR4
Blade: Schick Proline
Soap: Valobra (now my stash only includes C&S O&C, but that's fine by me)
Brush: same again.

In either case, I finish up with Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge EDC pretty much 99% of the time, I regard it as my "signature" scent, understated and perfect for me.

Last edited:
I have two setups with which I'd be equally happy:

Scope creep in post #6! :D

After spending twenty years shaving with the same razor, blades, brush, soap, and aftershave, there is no way I would go back. I'd rather grow a beard (and I loathe myself with a beard of any kind).

I could pick a combo for today, but as soon as I picked up tomorrow's kit I'm likely to think, "damn, this is great!" Spoilt for choice I guess. :)

Here's mine
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- AP Shave Co 'Amber Smoke' Resin 24/52mm Fan G5C Premium Synth.
Soap/Cream:- Already have a LIFETIME supplies of Mitchell's Wool Fat (tallow) and Tabac (tallow) until I'm dead
Razor:- Blackbird Lite SS Polished and Rockwell 6S
Blade:- Already have a LIFETIME supplies

What I would pick?

SR - the sharp one😂. Probably my TI
Brush - most would be good. Best would be Chubby1 or Duke3.
Soap. From what I tried I would be happy with any of: MWF, D R Harris, SV, B&M. B&M - scent, easy to lather, great performance.
But as only one I would probably go with MWF. Performance, skin feel - great. Very neutral scent - goes well with any AS. The only con is that it takes the most effort to lather.
AF - #rbscebu formula. Wahl Bay Rum mixed with witch hazel.

Here is mine:

What if I could only have one razor, one brush, etc

Sorry, I don't understand the question. One razor? one soap? nope, doesn't make sense.

What if I could only have one razor, one brush, etc

Sorry, I don't understand the question. One razor? one soap? nope, doesn't make sense.
What he said 😎

I'm getting perilously close to that minimalist state again. I spent most of my soi-disant adult life with just one razor, brush and soap, each of which has changed a few times (and yes, that did include a few straights). The lockdown in 2020 changed all that, and I found myself with cabinets and drawers bulging with shaving stuff.

Now, I only own 4 razors (two of which have been unused for months, and I may yet let them go) and without bothering to count, I think I have 6 soaps (not counting backups). I definitely have more brushes than I need, but I have no intention of changing that.