What to do with a broken Alum block

itsonlybarney

My first Alum block has fallen apart into a few pieces, and obviously the crystals have sharp edges, making the pieces somewhat unusable.

Xuq66CX.jpg

Obviously the smaller ones can just be thrown, but the larger ones just don't make sense to throw away given they are semi usable. So what do you do with the broken pieces of Alum block?

My first Alum block has fallen apart into a few pieces, and obviously the crystals have sharp edges, making the pieces somewhat unusable.

Xuq66CX.jpg

Obviously the smaller ones can just be thrown, but the larger ones just don't make sense to throw away given they are semi usable. So what do you do with the broken pieces of Alum block?
Used the broken Alum block with your wet hands like a bar of soap and then rub it onto your face.

You can use a file or sandpaper to smooth it out.

I buy raw potassium alum chunks which raggedy edges and use sandpaper to smooth them out.

Used the broken Alum block with your wet hands like a bar of soap and then rub it onto your face.
I hadn't thought about that way, but that makes sense

There's nothing you can do about it other than use the larger pieces as you would a full block or buy another. You can't stick them together.
That was my intention for the larger pieces.

Just dissolve the bits in water and keep the solution in a bottle with a fine nozzle. It works fine in liquid form.
Hadn't thought about that, but that is something different.

You can use a file or sandpaper to smooth it out.

I buy raw potassium alum chunks which raggedy edges and use sandpaper to smooth them out.
Hadn't thought about using sandpaper on them, but that makes sense.

Toughen up and use them anyway! After a week or so it will be smooth again.
Sure, it will produce some weepers, but the alum will make them self-sealing. 😉
Not saying I'm not going to use them, just curious whether it was worth continuing to use them, or just buy another.

I didn't even know Bunnings sold it.