Who made me ? (asked the anonymous vintage brush on eBay)

borked

Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat
Grand Society
Group Buy Associate
Da Menth Heads
2018 Charity Auction Winner
Looks like a nice brush. Could be a Simpson but Mark'll know. I suspect it'll go for a fair amount of dosh. Pretty big brush if the 23mm estimate of knot size is accurate.

I think that the presumption is that it is a Simmo - that will impact the price!

If it is a Simmo, how can it be dated using the label ?
I've done a quick search and unable to find a database that lists the different labels used over the scores that Simmo has been making brushes.

The box looks like a Simmo's, although notice how they didn't take a photo of the end of the box??

It looks to be numbered similar to
attachment.php

I've got a feeling Mark might have a few butterscotch brushes for sale. No Simmos but you'll pay stupid money for them.

Here are a few. The Culmak on the left has a beautiful deep butterscotch colour and I personally love the the crazing cracks and think it adds value rather than detracts from it. The one on the right has a translucent amber look. Smaller brush though. Culmak etc.jpg

And here's I think the nicest brush I've seen for a long time. Big, nicely packed 22mm TGN Finest. The colour of the handle matches that of the tips. It's a pisser. Re did the lettering too although that doesn't show up very good in the picture. About four times too big for my taste but then nearly every brush is for me. I'm hoping it'll wean Mark off his Simmo obsession but I'm not holding my breath.

Boeckh's III.jpg

That Boeckhs brush is fantastic looking. Feels nice and solid in the hand too. So tempting if I hadn't just brought another two brushes.
So now I have five brushes. But only one face.

Sensational looking brushes!

Simpson made brushes for a range of other companies and sold under a variety of names. The labels didn't necessarily have Simpson on them in the early days.

Sensational looking brushes!........

You'll have them in your hands soon. As you now there are a few more which didn't have the right knots when I took the picture. They're actually a bit shinier after hitting them with some polish. The Culmak in particular took a very nice shine.

.........Simpson made brushes for a range of other companies and sold under a variety of names. The labels didn't necessarily have Simpson on them in the early days.

There you go it might be a Simmo after all. In any case it looks like a high end brush. Did you get it in the end @borked ?

Nyet, I went for and won the Swedes :)

Be interesting to see what different "vintage" maketh to one's ritual facial bushwhacking...

Very good, I hope you like them. I try to pick them up whenever I can but they are hotly contested items.