Review YAQI Brass Final Cut Review

Nanook

"Abandon all money, ye who enter here."
clOdMjIl.jpg

The razor is nice to hold with plenty of grip. It did not feel like it was going to slip out of the hand even with its minimal knurling on the handle. Being made of brass, it’s also a bit weighty which I like/

It appears well made. There are some very minor tooling marks on top of head but certainly nothing to complain about and nothing that distracts from what I think is a very good looking razor.

There is a large range of gap between settings 1 and 6 and the gap remains even throughout the adjustment range. There is s a little bit of spring movement of the bottom plate when adjusted off 1 but only if you push it intentionally. There was absolutely no movement while using it so it in no way affects the way it shaves.

The one criticism I do have it that the dial goes from 1 to past 6 and stops at 1 again. However, there is no extra gap from 6 to where it stops again at 1. This doesn't affect the shave though and is something I’d consider minor.

I used an Astra blade which is my default blade for any new razor I use and set it on 4. This setting felt quite aggressive but with no feeling that I was going to take the top layer of skin off. The shave was very smooth, and it gave plenty of feedback.

I dialled down to 3 for XTG and that seemed to be its sweet spot for me.

Rinsed off after 2 passes and there was no stubble left, just baby smooth skin.

Overall, I'm impressed with the Final Cut in Brass. As this was a sample, I did get it at a reduced price, but I would have still been happy with it after paying full price regardless. As they haven't been released, I won't mention the retail price here as it’s not my place.

These will be available from The Wet Shaving Co. in July.

Nice review mate!

Sounds good. Their chrome Final Cut for me is so so looks-wise but this brass iteration is one of their better looking razors.

I definitely agree with you there.

I was going to buy the chrome version to try and at that stage there was no intention to release the brass one. I left it for a few weeks (too many things to buy and not enough money :)) then heard they had a change of mind and the brass version was being made.

I got in touch with Dave at The Wet Shaving Co, and he told me he just happens to have a sample on it's way to him from YAQI. Thankfully he was happy to sell it to me.

Very nice! I was and still am tempted.

The list of razors but also flashlights and knives and other things is damn long, the prices high and rising, which cannot be said of my disposable income, sooo... I just wanted to say I ran out of money for toys.
This month.

Razorock's "Wunderbar, but with multiple plates" razor is coming, Alpha Shaving still didn't say when they finally plan to release the Bandit. I see it coming, when I finally have it I will wonder why I was so impatient to get it. There is no guarantee I will like the way it shaves. It might be a mild razor trying to cater to the target group "everyone". uuuh...

This one is based on the Gibbs head. The Rex Envoy wasn't exactly my favorite and I am not a fan of adjustables. But I still might give it a try. It has something appealing just by looking at it.

The list of razors but also flashlights and knives and other things is damn long...
I can't help you with the razors (and that's not what we're here for :p) but I can with the other two:

You can NEVER keep up with the latest flashlights, so don't even try. :rolleyes: Just put what you have in a pile or a box and grab one whenever you need it. Add one for the car. (Or for each car.)

You never need more knives than you have pairs of pants. If you always have a knife in your pocket, you don't need another one. Unless you're into collecting Japanese cooks' knives, in which case go for your life. :p There's a good chance your wife might not even object. :D

I store my knives in a drawer so far, maybe I should put them into my pants. Excellent idea! :)

Cree released the XHP 50.3 Hi and 70.3 a while ago, they might see some more widespread use soon. But right now there is a lul, no really new LED designs, but quite cheap and powerful flashlights. I already have more than I need - but still not all I want. The same is true for razors and knives.

My grandma is actually worse mocking me with things small kids like me shouldn't play with than my wife.

I've bought a few Chinese $20 LED torches off ebay for my 4WD and Camper and they work pretty well. I don't see the need to spend any more (Says me who is looking at more $300+ razors.....)

I can't help you with the razors (and that's not what we're here for :p) but I can with the other two:

You can NEVER keep up with the latest flashlights, so don't even try. :rolleyes: Just put what you have in a pile or a box and grab one whenever you need it. Add one for the car. (Or for each car.)

You never need more knives than you have pairs of pants. If you always have a knife in your pocket, you don't need another one. Unless you're into collecting Japanese cooks' knives, in which case go for your life. :p There's a good chance your wife might not even object. :D
Haven't you heard the saying, "Two is one and one is none" :p