2023 Shaving Acquisitions Thread

Now you have piqued my interest. I wonder if Queensland Rail would miss a few inches of railway from their Savannahlander line 🤔.
The larger size seems to be available fairly easily. I’ve never seen a piece of the smaller gauge before. It was luck I came across it when browsing a sellers listings. Maybe an old mine might have some laying about.

The larger size seems to be available fairly easily. I’ve never seen a piece of the smaller gauge before. It was luck I came across it when browsing a sellers listings. Maybe an old mine might have some laying about.
The lighter size is very common on the sugarcane tramways along the Queensland coast but that's an almost 350km round trip for me from the farm. I'll see if I can contact one of the sugarmill engineers to find out if he can cut a piece of light rail for me.

The lighter size is very common on the sugarcane tramways along the Queensland coast but that's an almost 350km round trip for me from the farm. I'll see if I can contact one of the sugarmill engineers to find out if he can cut a piece of light rail for me.
So a coffee run in Australia. I drove that far to pick up my shaving mirror. Granted it was from the RMS Queen Mary. if you can grab few, and defray the fuel cost by selling them on.

So a coffee run in Australia. I drove that far to pick up my shaving mirror. Granted it was from the RMS Queen Mary. if you can grab few, and defray the fuel cost by selling them on.
I'm surprised no-one has asked, and you must have anticipated someone would. ;) So I'll bite. What does a shaving mirror from the Queen Mary look like?

I have photo I took ages ago. Im pretty sure I've posted it at some stage. Ive traveled as far for a set of speakers and well coffee.

49941674587_95d281c834_c.jpg
49941674572_15bfe47899_c.jpg

I'm surprised no-one has asked, and you must have anticipated someone would. ;) So I'll bite. What does a shaving mirror from the Queen Mary look like?
Didn't actually think about it, more of a demonstration the distances we will travel to get something in a country this big. The trip for the mirror was about 270km and the speakers about 330km.

Last edited:
Arrived this week after 4 weeks wait to get through Australian customs:

wugaJEp.jpg

Plan on using for 3 - 8k progression on the BBW side by diluting the slurry and coticule side just for finishing with water only

TGadhSI.png

Arrived this week after 4 weeks wait to get through Australian customs:

wugaJEp.jpg

Plan on using for 3 - 8k progression on the BBW side by diluting the slurry and coticule side just for finishing with water only

TGadhSI.png
I have similar but smaller and vintage. I found that my BB side doesn't need any slurry, just water. For the coticule side, I use soluble oil (6%) with water. Works well for me but every natural has its own personality.

In this morning's mail were 8 SR from @Holiday. He has PIFed them to me for parts, restoration and possible PIFing. I may keep one or two for personal use. No pics as I don't want to forewarn PIF participants.

First cab off the rank will be a post-1924 Cadman "Bengall" ⅝ full hollow Dutch point SR. It needs a fair amount of cleaning up and a good honing to shave-ready. It will probably be PIFed later in November.

Last edited:
In this morning's mail were 8 SR from @Holiday. He has PIFed them to me for parts, restoration and possible PIFing. I may keep one or two for personal use. No pics as I don't want to forewarn PIF participants.

First cab off the rank will be a post-1924 Cadman "Bengall" ⅝ full hollow Dutch point SR. It needs a fair amount of cleaning up and a good honing to shave-ready. It will probably be PIFed later in November.
Glad to see them going to good use @rbscebu

Yaqi Titanium Ghost

So, I told myself no more Aliexpress razors, but this one came up on sale ($179 shipped) so I just copped. Okay, no more Aliexpress razors, after this one. The anecdotal reviews of this razor is, it shaves better than the Yates 'Merica or 921. It's made from a better material than the Paradigm Salient (and speculation that it's made by the same factory). As I own none of these razors, I guess this one will stand up for all of the above. The titanium is really light, even lighter than the DSCosmetic Titanium D8. Handle is a stubby 9-ish cm. No idea what I'm going to do with all of these steam eye masks...

PWiV6Ir.jpg

2cZyQSE.jpg

ObhfC8B.jpg

rP8J7u3.jpg

q2LNcp8.jpg

Once again I just couldn't say no... Picked up this Ralf Aust for a steal; won't need much of a polish to be looking fine! Unusually, the vendors photos made it look far worse than it is so it was a pleasant surprise to see how reasonable it looked when I opened the package!

z25Lqb5.jpg

After a quick polish with '0000' steel wool and Autosol. The edge looks great too, no chips or corrosion.

Last edited: