Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Another soap from the Barrister & Mann group buy with thanks to @alfredus and @Barrister & Mann !

I chose the Roam largely as it was not chosen by others in the group buy. The description on the site is as follows:-

Inspired by the rugged individualism of American cattle ranchers, we blended the aromas of real pipe tobacco absolute, smoke, leather, herbs, damp earth, and grass into a bright, robust scent reminiscent of life on the open range. Timeless and virile, Roam harkens back to the days of the Old West.

Tobacco, smoke, leather, herbs, damp earth and grass - a lot going on there scent wise! I don't claim to have a good nose but I have liked Alt-Innsbruck and the Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac my wife picked up for me in London last year.

The Roam is different and from reviews elsewhere it is certainly polarising. It reminds me a lot of some of the Pinaud Clubman range, things like the Lilac Vegatal. No in terms of the scents present but in the layering and complexity of the scent. 'The Veg' and I don't get on but there are distinct stages in the development of its scent, in the bottle, first splash, a few minutes later and then the lingering hints during the day. Roam reminds me a lot of this AND IT IS ONLY A SOAP! I'm a little scared at the thought of an a/s in this scent as well.

I'm still unsure about the scent, parts I like, parts I don't. What it does suggest to me is that Will is a MASTER when it comes to crafting scents.

Enough about the smell already - how does it work? As others have said - brilliantly. This is a top shelf soap as good as any other I've used. Easy to load and lather, good slickness and protection and the face feels great afterwards.

I'd love others to be able to try this and make their judgement

Ah yes, Alt-Innsbruck. That's what I was trying to remember for @MrT last night. Possibly the definitive Green Tobacco scent.

I'm still unsure about the scent, parts I like, parts I don't. What it does suggest to me is that Will is a MASTER when it comes to crafting scents.

Quoted for truth. Loving the Lavanille this morning.

Another great review - many thanks @Mark1966 !

So day two and during the shave the grass (paspalum) was the dominant smell. Wash off and wipe down later and back to tobacco.

No aftershave today - I want to see how long this runs ...

Keep going with it - the scent will change as you work into the soap.

So it is now 12:30, about 4 1/2 hours post shave.

About an hour ago the noticeable faint wafts stopped although just rubbing my face now I'm able to conjure the faintest hint.

The tobacco settled down to a more leathery fragrance a while after about an hour post shave.

Do I like the scents? I'm not so sure.

Am I impressed by the depth, complexity and staying power of the @Barrister & Mann fragrances? Absolutely.

Will I keep the soap? For now, largely as an experimental test bed. I will probably sell at some stage as I doubt I will enjoy long term (and if you are keen now send me an offer!)

[sigh]

[deep sigh]

Ok I offer a Gazillion bazillion quintuple trillion dollars.
Poor old pensioner, my left one!
Mr Scrooge, is that you ?

And here I was, going to offer $2 and a cold one when you arrive to deliver it...